What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a few orchids

im looking for a few species of orchids. some arent as common but yah never know who has what and most of the species im looking for grow and spread quite easily. anyways here is my wish list, as for trade check out my growlist. not everything is up for trade as i have recieved some of it recently and it hasnt established but we can prolly work something out i can also give a list of other plants i grow. i have a few odd ball plants if you may be interested in something other than CPs.

i am looking for:
any type of Vanilla other than the typical plainifolia, a freash cutting with a few leaves would be fine. the varigated form of plainifolia is high on my list to get

Chiloschista usneoides, supposed to be the easiest to grow of the leafless orchids

Sendirea japonica

any Dockrillia species, i have one but its buried in my nep tank and cant see the tag as to the species. these are sometimes called button orchids and are a small fairly quick spreading orchid from Australia and are formorly placed under Dendrobiums.

any Stanhopea orchids

if you have something other than the common stuff that will grow in intermidiate to warm in humid conditions im interested. give me the name and ill go research it and see if its something im looking for.

is Onicidium gower ramsey in interset for you?
Arie

Good luck on finding the other Vanillas, they can be a little hard to come buy. After a lot of searching I only recently got a V. barbellata.

As for the leafless orchids, those are what I study. Camp Lot of Noise in Sarasota may have the Chiloschista you are looking for, but I know they have few Campylocentrum which are leafless. Also Tropiflora recently got in a shipment of Polyradicion and they have had a few either Campy. or Chiloschista in one of their houses for a while. I would give them a call. Also try ebay, as odd as this sounds I recently saw a flask of Dendrophylax up for sale. The key to growing the leafless orchids as I understand it is to grow them on an inorganinc substrate, like a plastic basket. Mark Whitten with Florida Museum of Natural History has had great success with this method and is the one providing me with the plants for my study.

If only you had posted sooner I just traded my last division of Stanhopea occulata.

Good luck with the search.

as far as the Vanillas i know how much of a pain anything other than the 3 species used for comercial vanilla production are to find. i found a place that sells them at $10/foot for unrooted vines but all of them seem to have similar flowers. like i said yah never know what may be hidden in the back of someones greenhouse. i know a place on the otherside of the state that has the leafless orchids but im not going to be over that way till the middle of September and would rather not spend $8/per plant on shipping. there plants are excelent quality but i think ill wait till September and look over everything myself and pick what im most interested in. infact other than the Vanillas he seems to have most of what im looking for. i just figured maybe some newbe who has been growing orchids for awhile would be interested in trading to increase their CP collection.

arie i cant find any info on that particular orchid. is it one of the large or mini Oncidiums? do you have a pic of the plant and flower? i do like oncidiums but i prefer the mini species.

Rattler

here is a photo of it
34661537.jpg

it's not a mini one but not the largest forms
Arie

Rattler,

Would you be so kind as to share the name of the place that has the leafless orchids?

Thanks

for the leafless: on ebay search for BOTANICA he is out of Missoula Montana

arie, that looks close to identical to one i already have, sorry but im not interested.

Rattler

jhupp, have you found the leafless orchid hard to grow? for some ppl they seem to do quite well. one person i know of, but not personally, grows the florida ghost orchid with out any special treatment and it flowers regularly. i guess he just keeps it hot and humid in a plastic basket in a back corner of his greenhouse.

Rattler

I have had virtualy no experince growing them. I am working on gas exchange in photosynthetic velamentous roots for my thesis and just recently got some of my first leafless species. The gentelman supplying the plants has had mixed results. His advice was inorganic substrate, generaly an empty plastic basket, high humidity and diffuse light. Marie Selby Botanical Gardens recently got several Polyradicion (Florida's Ghost Orchid) and they are trying them on a living substrate. They are useing a small potted pond apple in one of their greenhouses. I know they have had these plants in the past and killed them.

I am playing around with a flask of Harrisella porrecta that was given to me for my project. Though I haven't had it long enough to really say much about how to grow them. I did remove a small plant from it and put in my vivarium to see how they would do. So far all seems well. I think I may try to maintain them in a similar manner in my lab.

I have a leafless Vanilla that I recently recived as well. From what I had heard they were very fragile and difficult to establish. I stuck it in the pot with my V. planifolia about 3 weeks ago and had come to the conclusion that it wasn't going to make it. But, yesterday I found that it had rooted. So in the next few months I expect to see a little new growth. I will keep you in mind if it ever takes off.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help on the cultural info.

And before I forget, how is the V. planifolia I sent you?

its doing well as far as i can tell, it has rooted. none of the leaf nodes have erupted yet to start a new vine but other than that it looks good. i have it in a mix of orchid bark and long fibered sphagnum and placed it in with my Neps. how are the Utrics? acouple of those divisions were small. are they still doing well?

Rattler

All except one have taken off. Of course it was the expensive one that didn't make it. lol

well give me another month or two and i should be able to replace it. its not doing much but it is spreading slowly for me. maybe it will speed up once it gets some size. ill give yah a bigger chunk this time and maybe it will adjust better. good luck with your research. its much to technical for me but they are very interesting plants and i hope to wind up with one come September. definatly keep me in mind should that leafless Vanilla do good for yah.

Rattler

I don't grow any of those, but have seen them at Oak Hill (www.oakhillgardens.com). They seem reasonably healthy (I was there yesterday... didn't look at the vanilla, but saw a few leafless orchids, Polyradicon and probably Cholochista of some sort).

i have found the leafless orchids. ive seen 3 or 4 ppl who regularly carry them on ebay that usually sell for around $20 for the more "common" ones, as of yesterday i think there were 4 or 5 different species on there from 3 different ppl. if it comes down to it ill purchase one in a month or two but right now i was just looking to trade.

Rattler

Back