What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tree with inch long thorns

smile.gif
I recently acquired a piece of property and while clearing it I uncovered a really cool looking tree, about 20' tall, looks like an Acacia sp. me???, But this is Wa. state so it is probably not an Acacia. The cool thing about this tree is that it has thorns over an inch long and it is kinda exotic looking... makes me think of something you would see in Africa. Its covered in seed pods right now and if anyone is interested i will make an effort to collect seeds as they mature. Just let me know (send me a pm)

Sounds like devils assh to me.

Sounds like a thorny Honey Locust
Gleditsia triacanthos

Cheers,
Sean

Sounds like a tree I'd want nothing to do with since there are already waaaay too many thorny things here in Tucson, Az's desert....
smile.gif

Andrew

But hey! Thanks for the offer and good luck to you when it comes time to trim it.
smile_m_32.gif

careful... many thorny trees in africa are highly toxic!

Last time I checked Washington state wasn't in Africa! lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Sep. 13 2004,11:53)]Last time I checked Washington state wasn't in Africa!  lol
But who's to say the tree didn't origionate from Africa?
smile_m_32.gif

Sounds like a Black Locust to me If there are many saplings around the tree, no doubt it is Black Locust, that tree is a very prolific root sucker producer.

Its also a magic card, very rare one at that...
confused.gif
what?

Hawthorns have the worst thorns I've seen on a tree, but that clearly isn't a hawthorn.  Black Locust has spread just about everywhere and is a good candidate, given your description.  But it's an invasive species and shouldn't be distributed any further.

I will look up black locust and if it is I wont send it anywhere it will be invasive.... what I have is clearly not invasive in Washington State.... I think I know how I can ID it... a think Ive seen it before either in the arboritum or at the Woodland Park Zoo... I will go to both those places and see if I can find it again.... FYI... I have Palo Verde Tree seeds, as well that Im testing right now to see if they will still germinate, if they do, I will offer them

One inch sounds a little small for africa, many of the trees have thorns up to 4inches long on average see Camelthorn tree (Acacia eurolobia). Can't remember if this is the biggest..... Link to a picture
smile.gif

ok.. it is black locust (which I think is really cool)... which is native to the eastern united states.  What Im going to do is look up its native range, and also areas where it is not considered a threat and I will send seeds to anyone in those areas... those elsewhere are out of luck, sorry.... but I still have palo verde seeds available

FTI I also read that the black locust seeds might need most of the winter to mature so they may not be read right away, I will send to those that want the seeds once the first pods start to open

Back