Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any pollen?...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]So they do need to be two different clones of the same species.
    BUT not of the same plant.
    ok... a clone of a plant is another individual plant but with the exact same genes. (an identical twin)...
    species that cannot self-fertilize can't do it because the pollen is exactly the same so they don't want the same genes. if you have two clones, they will make exactly the same pollen, so one plant thinks the clone's pollen is it's own.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok back.. the bell rang :P
    you CAN pollinize plants w/ clones, as long as the clones are not all of the same plant.
    I don't think you know what the definition of a species is...
    a group of animals are the same species if:
    they look alike,
    their populations aren't separated and they have contact w/ one another
    they can mate and have fertile offspring
    they have a way to mate with each other
    but ofcourse that there are MANY exceptions. especially with plants.
    for example... a horse and a donkey. they're different species because:
    they don't look alike all that much
    they're geographically separated
    their behavior is different
    if they mate, they'll have offspring but they're NOT fertile.
    now... about scientific names... scientific names were created so that there'd be no confusion about names (cougar and mountain lion are the same thing... and none come to mind but there are different species with the same name)
    for a species, there are two names in a scientific name.
    the genus is the first one (Ie. Drosera) and the species is the second one (binata) and it's written Drosera binata. now... if you had any two individuals (that aren't clones of the same plant), they'd be able to mate and produce fertile offspring.
    there are also things like subspecies. a subspecies is a member of the same species but that has different characteristics and may be in a different location. (ie. sarr. purpurea purpurea and sarr. purpurea venosa... they'd be able to mate because they're both S. purpurea, but the s. purpure purpurea and the s. purpurea venosa look different and live in different places)
    and there also varieties and cultivars... and I don't know what the difference is.
    is it clear now?
    Quote[/b] ]We are all the same?
    HUH? who said that?
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *blink blink* I have another question now. There are like....4 flowers on the same stalk...what if they were to bloom at the same time. Would I be able to cross pollinate them all and get seed?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no... because it doesn't self-pollinize!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IT'S NOT NICE TO YELL AT IDIOTS! :P
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you don't use caps lock it's not yelling... when you just use exclamation points, it means you're emphasizing something [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah yeah whatever. I hate it when you get technical! There was no need for all those exclamation points and youuuu know it.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Sep. 28 2004,6:46)]no... because it doesn't self-pollinize!!!!
    Isn't what he has been screaming at all long, poor guy. No, flowers on the same plant will not pollinate, een if they be on different stalks.

I think the definition of a species is: Two animals that can mate and produce a fertile offspring (hence horses and donkeys are not of the same species, because even though they can mate to produce a mule, the mule is sterile (cannot mate) and thus cannot carry on genes of a species. Neither can horses and rabbits...well I won't go into that.

So, this is the conclusion: Two different plants of similar species can pollinate, provided they have different genetic combinations? Hence that excludes all plants from tissue culture, because even though they are separate plants, they have seemingly identical genetic combinations. Is that right?

Please tell me it is right...

Jason

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast