What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have any pollen?...

Hey my Drosera Binata Multifida has sent up a flower stalk and I've been told that they don't self pollinate so I was wondering if anyone had another flower opening so that we could either swap pollen or you could give me the pollen then I could give you half the seeds. Or vicea versa. Anything that works will be fine. Here's a (kinda crappy) pic of the plant.
DBinataMultifida1.JPG

I think the plants have to bve genetically different. Pollen from the same species (even though it may be someone else's plant), will not work. Or won't it...?

Incorrect. Pollen from the same species is required unless you plan on creating a hybrid. In order to pollinate forms of D. binata var. multifida you generally require a genetically different clone (ie- different genes) of the same species.

Ahhhh...
biggrin.gif

So that means two different plants - of the same species?

the same species can be genetically different. all humans are of the same species but obviously we're genetically different.

So......@_@ wow I don't think I've ever been this confused... Well anyone have what I need? OH! btw I spotted another flower stalk. The biggest one is gonna bloom within this week.

Aaarrrrrrrgggggg. Your 3 weeks to late for me! Mine has already decided to call it a summer and has gone to bed 'til next spring.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Is yours from PFT/Exotic Gardens? If so, mine is probably from the same clone as yours and wouldn't work anyway.

'nother edit: Whoops, nevermind I just reread and you say yours is a Multifida. Mines a plain ol' binata.
smile_l_32.gif

Kiento, If you have two multifida which are not clones of each other then you can use the pollen of one to pollinate the other. Since a lot of plants that we have are clones, it gets a little trickier to find pollen that will work. Clones are basically copies of the same plant, so the pollen from a clone won't work. It'd be like trying to use the plants own pollen.

OOOO!! That's right there are like...3 of em in the same pot and 2 are flowering!! YAAAYY!! Now lets hope they bloom at the same time..... how long do they stay open?

they're probably clones. if it's so hard finding pollen from OTHER people, what are the odds that the multifida grown by the same grower, in the same pot, will not be a clone?
sorry to be the one that brings bad news, but oh well :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Kiento, If you have two multifida which are not clones of each other then you can use the pollen of one to pollinate the other.
Wha? Ok, now I'm getting confused. So it must be two different plants of the same species, so why can't they be two different clones of the same species? Do you need a broader genetic diversity or what? What I'm asking is this, can two different plants of the same species (ie.clones - from tissue culture) pollinate?

BTW, what is a definition of a clone. A plant that has a similar genetic identity, or two plants of exactly the same species? I'm leaning more towards the 1st. Someone help me out here...

Thanks,
Jason

We are all the same?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I would like to testify...that maybe the level of craziness varies from one individual to another, like, say, on this forum...

A clone is propagated vegetatively from a plant and should be genetically identical to the original plant, (barring any mutation from tissue culture). So they do need to be two different clones of the same species.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So they do need to be two different clones of the same species.
BUT not of the same plant.
ok... a clone of a plant is another individual plant but with the exact same genes. (an identical twin)...
species that cannot self-fertilize can't do it because the pollen is exactly the same so they don't want the same genes. if you have two clones, they will make exactly the same pollen, so one plant thinks the clone's pollen is it's own.

ok back.. the bell rang :p
you CAN pollinize plants w/ clones, as long as the clones are not all of the same plant.
I don't think you know what the definition of a species is...
a group of animals are the same species if:
they look alike,
their populations aren't separated and they have contact w/ one another
they can mate and have fertile offspring
they have a way to mate with each other
but ofcourse that there are MANY exceptions. especially with plants.
for example... a horse and a donkey. they're different species because:
they don't look alike all that much
they're geographically separated
their behavior is different
if they mate, they'll have offspring but they're NOT fertile.
now... about scientific names... scientific names were created so that there'd be no confusion about names (cougar and mountain lion are the same thing... and none come to mind but there are different species with the same name)
for a species, there are two names in a scientific name.
the genus is the first one (Ie. Drosera) and the species is the second one (binata) and it's written Drosera binata. now... if you had any two individuals (that aren't clones of the same plant), they'd be able to mate and produce fertile offspring.
there are also things like subspecies. a subspecies is a member of the same species but that has different characteristics and may be in a different location. (ie. sarr. purpurea purpurea and sarr. purpurea venosa... they'd be able to mate because they're both S. purpurea, but the s. purpure purpurea and the s. purpurea venosa look different and live in different places)
and there also varieties and cultivars... and I don't know what the difference is.
is it clear now?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We are all the same?
HUH? who said that?

*blink blink* I have another question now. There are like....4 flowers on the same stalk...what if they were to bloom at the same time. Would I be able to cross pollinate them all and get seed?

no... because it doesn't self-pollinize!!!!

Back