User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone still looking for live sphagnum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The redness is most commonly tied with the acidity of the growing substrate I think (so I've been told).

Amori

Ok, but the bright red sphagnum I've seen was growing right next to the brown stuff, and it looked very different when you looked at them closely. Sort of like the bright green kind I always find growing with lots of water, completely or partly submerged- but it's always bright green no matter where in the bog you find it.

Publications like this make it sound like different species have different colors or ranges of colors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you look page 9, many sphag species say things like "pale green to orange"
    and stuff like that... and there are hundreds of species of sphag so two brown ones may be different species and one green and another brown may the the same species.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Well that was sort of my point, my thinking these two are a different species is based on the different characteristics in the plants.. not just the color. The vivid color difference was the first indication however.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123