What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone still looking for live sphagnum?

G

My dad decided to sell his house all the sudden so I had to empty out my outdoor bog garden there. Therefore I suddenly have far more live sphagnum then I can use. I'm in the process of bagging it up still but I'll post a pic soon. Looks like I'll have both quart and gallon size zip-lock bags available. PM or E-mail me if you're interested
smile.gif

Here's a quart bag
smile.gif

sphag.jpg

now THAT is some healthy LFS! what you lookin for?

Thanks
smile.gif
Theres actually three different colors in that bag.. green, red, and a rich red/ brown. In the summer they're just vibrant.

Yes!!!!!! Sphagnum for plants and plastic containers?!

Is red a sign of maturity or what? So far I have only seen two cases where there is 'red' sphagnum...
Anyone know how?

Would be an interesting camouflage for some varieties of dosera...

does anyone kno a site that has info on lfs? and how to care for it?

I think it's more a different species thing. I've seen some very vivid red sphagnum out in the field. It was quite different than the other sphagnum growing nearby, it was much smaller and only the head was bright red, the rest of the plant was almost completely white with specs of red. But it still formed tight "hummocks" and was small and short like the brown stuff that grows all over Alaska.

Sphagnum can change color whenever they want. Ivan Snyder grows his in a bowl under intense lighting, and they change regardless of lighting.

Emesis- is that true of all species? Because it seems like certain species are always the same color, at least in the wild.

The redness is most commonly tied with the acidity of the growing substrate I think (so I've been told).

Amori

Ok, but the bright red sphagnum I've seen was growing right next to the brown stuff, and it looked very different when you looked at them closely. Sort of like the bright green kind I always find growing with lots of water, completely or partly submerged- but it's always bright green no matter where in the bog you find it.

Publications like this make it sound like different species have different colors or ranges of colors.

if you look page 9, many sphag species say things like "pale green to orange"
and stuff like that... and there are hundreds of species of sphag so two brown ones may be different species and one green and another brown may the the same species.

Back