What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides gemmae for trade

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Well, they are doing it to me again. My Drosera scorpioides are producing gemmae. I'm looking for trades first, but if your a newbie and don't have anything that's fine
biggrin.gif
! I'm interested in seeds (even of plants I have), small plants, leave/root cuttings, whatever. I have some open space in my window sill and it looks naked without something green in it and it's quicker to fill it in with plants and seeds from trades than to do my own cuttings (I know that's a lame excuse for being lazy
smile_n_32.gif
)

USA residents only

Please PM or post here if you are interested or have questions.

EDIT: I prefer to send them in my little boxes, over SASE. So if you want some I'll send 'em gratis.

EDIT: Edited your topic and your edit for you.
smile.gif
-Andrew

Should I wait to see if my lone scorpoides will produce gemmae or snatch this opurtinity up?

Pond boy,
It's your chioce
smile.gif
. I have been sending 20 gemmae, but if you'd like I could send you ten or so. That way you'll be covered if your scorpioides doesn't produce gemmae this year and if it does you'll still have room for them and some to trade/giveaway later.

For those who don't know about gemmae, they are a modified leaf produced by the plant for the sole purpose of spreading the plant around. That's where their resemblance to seed ends. I have kept fresh gemmae in my fridge for four weeks. Gemmae that have been banged around in the mail need to be planted immediately for best results.

I want some but don't have anything to trade yet. All my plants are still young.

Not a problem. PM your mailing address to me and I'll send some gemmae to you.

If you got any left over after you trade let me know. I've never tried to grow plants from gemmae before. It sounds pretty cool.

Oh well, I don't think gemmae survive in singapore anyway. All my last attempts failed. Could be possibly due to the climate/climate change. I'll try when I move to the US...
biggrin.gif

I have some filiformis 'All Red' seed I can trade as well as D. burmanii 'Red Tentcles' plants I can send.

Hey , I'd love to try some gammae. any left?

Thankx a bunch!

-Juan-Carlos

I have more gemmae, but it will be next week before they are ready to harvest and send out.

Sent gemmae to the following people today:

TheAlphaWolf
Hellzdungeaon
Amateur_Expert
wolf9striker
CNCreefer
ChronoKiento
Nile
Altrade212
IceDragon
Kayaker78
Sarraceniaobsessed
Zak
eyedocbob

Take care!

Hey sounds good buddy, let me know when you need my addy.

-Jc

Got mine today. Look great.
Thanks!

uh...now what do I do with them?

got it today!!! (the package)
as for what to do with them, here's what he told me:

Gemmae are modified leaf buds that are produced by the plant for the sole purpose of reproducing itself. Unlike true seeds these will produce a clone of the parent plant and they can't be stored for more than a couple weeks in the fridge before they start to decay and become moldy. They should be planted as soon as you receive them for best results. They should not be allowed to dry out as that will also kill them.

Sowing them on a 50%peat and 50% perlite mix works well. Some people prefer to use more sand as their natural habitat is on the sandy side. Just lay them on the surface of the soil. You can press them down gently to make sure they have good contact with the soil but it isn't necessary. I haven't tried vermiculite with these plants yet so don't know if it works well with them or not. And, as with any CP, make sure the peat doesn't have fertilizer in it and water with purified water such as rain water, distilled water, or reversed osmosis (purified) water. Some people are fortunate enough to have tap water that is naturally low in dissolved minerals and can use it with no problems. If you have water that is "softened" with a water softener, don't use it unless your sure that the water softener is not softening by replacing dissolved minerals with salt.

Sow gemmae on the surface of the soil and keep it damp until they sprout. Most of the gemmae I have sown sprouted within 7 days. Once they have developed a good root system, I watered from the top and allowed the excess to drain off. This was to rinse out any nutrients that may have been in the soil and prevent algae from growing before the gemmae sprouted. They are tolerant of a wide range of humidity levels unlike many sundews that lose their dew when the air gets dry. Mine have continued to produce dew in humidity as low as 25%.

They have long fragile roots so shouldn't be transplanted unless it's an emergency. Because of the long roots, they do best in deep pots. I like six to eight inch pots. You can grow them in a deeper pot if you wish. Deep pots will also make it easier to keep them alive during their summer dormancy. They are native to Australia and have developed a summer dormancy to cope with the extreme heat of an Australian summer. During dormancy you should cut back on watering to avoid fungus attacking the plant. Keep the soil in the bottom inch or two of the pot just moist. This can be done by putting an inch of water in the tray and letting the pot soak in it for a minute and pouring out any water that remains. How often you do this will depend on the weather where you live. This will help keep the roots from dying back and make their return from dormancy quicker.

Thanks, got mine today!

Back