What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-cp (brugmansia) for trade

I need to chop my Brugmansia (angel trumpet) down for the winter now before it freezes. If you want stem cuttings (will root in water) send PM. It is not a named variety, just a pinkish salmon color. Also have a few "yellow" flowered cuttings. If you have some named variety you would like to trade, let me know. Otherwise, I will send some cuttings for cost of postage. USA only.

is this plant a vine? I've got some really cool ideas for my room that I'm redoing and i need a vine

No, it is a bush/tree depending on where it is grown. You probably need an ivy or philodendron. Sweet potatoes in a container of water will also make a nice vine indoors. Of course the best vines are Nepenthes!

Brugmansia suavolans is an enormous tree thingy. Wonderful blossoms though, mine makes enormous trumpets that smell "heavenly" about 2 foot long and 6 inches wide.

as a vine you should consider a passionflower. i might be able to offer you some.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Nov. 08 2004,1:15)]Brugmansia suavolans is an enormous tree thingy. Wonderful blossoms though, mine makes enormous trumpets that smell "heavenly" about 2 foot long and 6 inches wide.
All parts of this and other angel trumpets are narcotic and poisonous. Some people have ingested or smoked angel trumpet for its narcotic effects, and some of those people are no longer with us. The use of angel trumpet as a landscape plant is banned in some municipalities.

yeah a nep would make a great vine, but not for what i need, i would have to get something tall like a gracilis, and even then i would have to get like 20

I've heard that Datura A.K.A are toxic. Brugmansia and Datura are easily confused since the flowers look similar but with Brugmansia the flowers hang down, Datura the flowers face upward.

Kirk
Fitchburg, Mass.

P.S. Growing a cream-colored Brugmansia and would like more but there was frost on the ground today so have to wait until spring
smile_h_32.gif

I wish I had space for another one but the one I have is really big and still hasn't flowered. it's about 6' tall. I REALLY hope it flowers next year!
btw... poinsettias aren't poisonous. that's a myth
(note I said poinsettias and not daturas/brugs ... it was sort of random :p)

Both Datura and Brugmansia are poisonous, but it's a little overblown. If you avoid eating or otherwise ingesting the plants (which are supposed to taste foul) they are not dangerous.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kirkwmartin @ Nov. 10 2004,6:11)]I've heard that Datura A.K.A are toxic. Brugmansia and Datura are easily confused since the flowers look similar but with Brugmansia the flowers hang down, Datura the flowers face upward.

Kirk
Fitchburg, Mass.

P.S. Growing a cream-colored Brugmansia and would like more but there was frost on the ground today so have to wait until spring
smile_h_32.gif
Kirk, you are right. I have read that both are toxic. We have two dogs and two cats and none of these seem interested in chewing on the plant or fallen leaves. I was worried at first as one of the dogs enjoys chewing various plants but she does not even try. I have both and the flowers do look similar and both smell great. If you want I can send some cuttings of the pink form and you can grow them indoors over winter and then plant out next spring. I start mine in cups of water and then transfer soil as they develop roots. If they get too large indoors they can always be cut back. I would be interested in some cuttings of the cream form if you are interested in a swap. Do you want any white Datura seeds?

Some caterpillars and other insects do eat them though. I've seen hornhorms in my brugmansia.
oh yeah... daturas too
smile.gif

Back