What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frogs for n. 'red leopard'

This one is a stretch.
My daughter has been wanting to do a frog exhibit for her third grade science fair project for a year. I believe it's in early February.
We have had a few of our frogs pass away recently, including Juanita
smile_h_32.gif
, my large female Cuban treefrog. I am going to bet that one was old age as she was eating fine and I have had her for years as a huge adult.
If you live in Florida or warm places and have access to any live frogs and would consider a trade, please PM me.

Thanks,

Joe

Does anyone know why the post always puts lower case letters in for the plants in the topic description? I thought I was going crazy and I made sure it was caps befoe I sent it(in the appropriate places). I know my binomial nomenclature, and I feel like a boob when it show up like n. gracilis instead of N. gracilis.

Joe

Better check the regulations in the state of FL before you do so.

I imagine that if someone lives down there they have access to greenhouse frogs. Nonnative species...tiny, shy and secretive and only comes out when it is dark and rainy(so seldom seen in captivity). Interesting thing is that they lay eggs on land in moist places where they develop into tiny frogs as opposed to tadpoles.

Hyla cinerea is another possibility for the SE US but again check the regulations esp. since it is native.

Why not just get a Whities tree frog?

Edit: Most states do not allow the collecting of native amphibians and the like for selling etc. unless you have a special permit. The ones you can collect with a fishing license are mean't for personal use. Again-varies from State to State.

I don't see frogs where I live, but there's definatly alot of toads everywhere.

Do you want water frogs or toads?I can get one or both for you.

Jerry

I was going to get a White's actually. Is it illegal to collect amphibians and reptiles in most states these days for that kind of thing? I had no idea.....Kingsnake.com is full of WC stuff for sale.
I was really hoping for some tree frogs or some interesting aquatic frogs if there were any(example in the South, a pickerel frog). I don't want to break any laws, though.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Nov. 25 2004,11:43)]I was going to get a White's actually. Is it illegal to collect amphibians and reptiles in most states these days for that kind of thing? I had no idea.....Kingsnake.com is full of WC stuff for sale.
I was really hoping for some tree frogs or some interesting aquatic frogs if there were any(example in the South, a pickerel frog). I don't want to break any laws, though.

Cheers,

Joe
Yeah...some people are a bit dishonest as far as laws and supply/demand goes. Howeer, it is apparently possible in some states to get a business permits of sorts...
confused.gif
(kinda like the "VFT permit") so they can collect and sell legally.

You might want to try African dwarf frogs-or maybe fish.
smile_m_32.gif

So you dont want any then.Ok,just trying to help you out.

Jerry

Griffin, I used to import and export reptiles and amphibians... lets work out a nice trade and I can send you some real nice frogs not ugly brown cuban tree frogs lol!

-Jc

Juan-Carlos, PM'd you. Let me know if you did not get it.

Cool85k5, I did not say I was not interested, I was just curious if you knew what kind. probably not toads, as I have a couple of native Nebraskan and an Egyptian-ironically, they look identical at a glance.

Cheers,

Joe

I'm not sure what kind they are,have'nt seem them upclose.I can catch one and see if you want.

Jerry

I had a treefrog screen environment where i had cuban treefrogs, green treefrogs, white's treefrog, less gray and greater gray treefrogs, spring peeper's and the not-so aboral frogs, pacman frogs and tomato frogs. I had breeding pairs of each except for the pacman frogs which teamed up with the cuban treefrogs and ate any spring peeper's i had a chance of getting. Very tragic, but the environment was a gorgeous four foot tall chameleon-esque cage with bottom front door and large top door.

Unfortunately, I have just finished off selling ALL of them, including their environment.

Sorry Griff. It's cool to know someone had Cuban treefrogs besides me. They are one of the largest treefrogs I've seen, well, beside White's.

are any of these Aquarium Frogs?  Aqua frogs,  like the ones in the pet stores?

The two frogs by that discription(aqua pet store frogs) would probably be the fire belly toad(likes to be on land some) and the African clawed frog(totally aquatic).

Or the african dwarf frog(Hyemnochirus sp.)

Heck, I was thinking the dwarf was the same genus as Xenopus(clawed frog), but you may be right.

Back