What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caps,
Regarding making cuttings - Are neps like other plants, where if you cut the growing end off, the plant will sprout from side buds? In other words, I have a N. rafflesiana that is getting too big for its enclosure. There are no side branches and no basal shoots yet, but I have had it for about 5 years and it is doing great.

Can I make cuttings without hurting the plant, or wait for side shoots? I am picking on you because you have practical experience in nep cuttings.:laugh:

Thanks, John

It's a little bit of a gamble to cut a vine when there isn't already a basal growth or side shoot. However, after five years and with a solid root system, chances are fairly good the mother plant will live and start new growth. N. rafflesiana is pretty easy to root cuttings with so I'd give it a shot.

Capslock

Thanks,
I will have to work up some nerve to do it, though...

John

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Mar. 04 2005,9:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Mar. 03 2005,7:30)]is everything spoken for?
^^^
Apparently... When someone says "I'm out", that is exactly what it means. No need to go asking a question that's already been answered, as it just annoys the person giving away the plants, making them not want to give them away anymore
confused.gif
Read the rest of the topic, as 20 other people have asked the same question
smile_m_32.gif
No biggie, but it was kinda obvious

OK, 13 boxes got mailed out this afternoon! I shipped them "Priority" mail at the Post Office.

*sob* I had to cut my long thorelli x aristo vine which had a nice pitcher at the bottom that was over a year old!

Anyway, they are wrapped in wet paper towel, and have not been dipped in rooting hormone or anything, so you'll probably want to make a fresh cut on the end, and follow the procedures for cuttings (shallow vertical slits on the stems to allow root growth, etc) explained elsewhere on the forum.

Good luck everyone!!!

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunDoode182 @ Mar. 05 2005,3:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Mar. 04 2005,9:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Mar. 03 2005,7:30)]is everything spoken for?
^^^
Apparently... When someone says "I'm out", that is exactly what it means. No need to go asking a question that's already been answered, as it just annoys the person giving away the plants, making them not want to give them away anymore
confused.gif
Read the rest of the topic, as 20 other people have asked the same question
smile_m_32.gif
No biggie, but it was kinda obvious
yea Sorry about that that was really annoying of me, Capslock is probly going to stop posting here and trading plants....opps I'm sorry everyone.....

AMG the horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111one oneone one one

smile_m_32.gif
:p

Yeah, I'm never posting here again. You've ruined it, Flip Side!

smile_n_32.gif

J/K, I'll make sure you get one next time!

Capslock

I received my cutting today in the mail, it was in wonderful shape. Hopefully it will root for me. Thanks again Max

Craig

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Mar. 05 2005,8:37)]follow the procedures for cuttings (shallow vertical slits on the stems to allow root growth, etc) explained elsewhere on the forum.
Could somebody please post a link to the relevant thread?

I've not seen the bit about making shallow vertical slits before... might be why my cuttings are slow to root.

my package came; thanks again for your generosity!

Peter

Scott,
Do a search, and it should be findable, but it brings up the point that there should be a definitive guide pinned in this forum for anyone to access easily. I got the process from Savage Garden, by Peter D'Amato. I just use an exacto blade to make slits just through the outer skin of the stem, about 3/4 of an inch long at the bottom of the stem. The roots that form all come from these slits, it seems, so it's logical to assume it increases the chances of success.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I just use an exacto blade to make slits just through the outer skin of the stem, about 3/4 of an inch long at the bottom of the stem.

I, too, use this method. You want to make sure, thought, that you don't slit too deep. Just through the "skin" so the living, growing tissue is exposed to the medium.

I got the cuttings yesterday, they look great!

thanks again
-Jeremiah-

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Mar. 08 2005,9:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I just use an exacto blade to make slits just through the outer skin of the stem, about 3/4 of an inch long at the bottom of the stem.

I, too, use this method.  You want to make sure, thought, that you don't slit too deep.  Just through the "skin" so the living, growing tissue is exposed to the medium.
I know one grower who cuts them all the way through the stem. That would be two cuts. He said it encourages more root growth, but I would be frightened to try it unless I had a lot of experimental material to work with.

Cheers,

Joe

Mine arrived in great shape yesturday.

Thanks
Glenn

Here is a link to Tony Paroubek's site which has a pretty good pictoral view of exactly how to do Nep cuttings. Should be helpfull for those who have never tried it before.

To find the pictoral click on "Carnivorous" on the left hand side, then Nepenthes, then scroll to the bottom where it shows Propogation and then click the pictoral link.

Good Luck

http://www.exoticplantsplus.com/framepageculturetips.htm

Cheers
Steve

Back