What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not cp's but

Ok here's the deal.

I'm in CA where these are nonnative and a few have taken up residence and produced a large quantity of tadpoles. I'd rather not be supplementing the local bullfrog populations so was curious if anyone would want any. The tads should be around one year old. You could use them in an aquarium(but keep in mind bullfrogs in captivity will eventually require very large tanks), or perhaps for a pond(providing you are not in an area where they are invasive of course).

Currently I'm disposing of the ones I net out of the pond.

Certainly a long shot but if anyone happens to need any let me know.

Just a heads up bullfrog tadpoles can take up to 2 years before turning into frogs

--Mike

Yeah I know, the ones at the store (the one I work) never changed into frogs because it took so long and people eventually bought them.

These are American bullfrogs(Rana catesbeiana). I don't think they get quite as big as the african bullfrog, but adults can still be very large and they are the largest frogs in North America. Course you'd have a long way to go for that. Their is a froglet in the pond somewhere and possibly the father of these tadpoles(who is a big one) which if I catch I will be getting rid of too.

If I kept them in this pond I think most would turn into frogs sometime next year. If you plan on keeping one as an aquarium pet it would probably be best to start with a tadpole so the frog could be used to aquarium confines.

Shipping I'm not sure. It will depend on how many you want. Chances are it would run anywhere from 3.58 for a few to 10 dollars for a lot. These guys are incredibly hardy so I doubt shipping priority would phase them considering the abuse I've seen them put up with. Shipping charges is the only limit on the number of tads.

I would love to have some actually.i raise northern leopard frogs from tads and have them in tanks as pets and not wild. I would actually like some for my ponds outside.as they are native here but they arnt in my neighborhood as noone has a pond but i do so they can live here. They may hop away but they wont go far from the water source. i wonder if you could ship them though. i could also keep some in a tank.

I would like one for my cp setup, it is 50 gallons and has a small pond, so plenty of room for it to grow in

an adult frog could easily smash some plants, and their feces are rich in nitrates, so i don't recomend bullfrogs for a cp tank. perhaps consider some green tree frogs, spring peepers, a newt or salamander, or perhaps a leopard frog

Anyone interested please pm me and we'll work from there. I have plenty to go around-enough to make a small bonfire with.

A tadpole would work fine in the pond but an adult bullfrog would not work in the tank with CP's.

Another thing is that it would be best for me for people to take them in large lots. I'm not against shipping out one or two but it would simply be faster. More means a bit of security for you in case things happen and tadpoles don't need much anyway.

It also saves them from eventual fate(think Ozzy's skink auction
smile_n_32.gif
).

Hi guys.I'm in Canada right and I asked for some of these tadpoles,but was told that it might be too expensive to ship to Canada,so does anybody know any info about that?Would I have to call the post office to see if they can ship live animals to me and how much it would be?Any info would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif
Thanks guys! *Niki*

Yeah. Anyone with info on this would be most appreciated. I'm not worried as much about the cost as I am about legality of this. I suspect controls are tight since we got fruit taken from us when we bought it in Canada and had it in the car when we crossed to the US(or maybe vise versa).

check your local laws even here in the states. i do believe they were recently banned from being imported even here in Montana.

Hey folks, The Bullfrog tads may not be shipped to Canada. Additionally, there are many states out west where they can not be shipped. American Bullfrogs are an introduced species west of the rockies. Please don't ship Bullfrogs or Bullfrog tads to anywhere that is not their native range. It' a tad bit irresponsible.

Thanks for the info.*Niki*

Back