What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want cps

Dear All Group Members,
I am based in India and am a CP and garden enthusiast. I have a few CPs which I had got from a nursery in the USA.
I nmainly have only sarracenias and I need all other verieties of CPs. I have many other plants and seeds for trade or i am even willing to buy at reasonable prices.
Please let me know if anybody is interested in trade or sale to me.
Thanks in Advance.
Pramod Agrawal.

Are you familiar with CITES?

Are there ANY CPs that are legal to ship across national borders without extensive documentation?

Thanks for the replies friends.
I am well aware of CITES and there are only few CPs which come under CITES. Rest are free from CITES.
I have received several CPs in the past from USA, Canada and UK.
Pramod.

It would depend on India's plant importation laws Scott, which I am not familiar with. As well as any laws from the exporting country.

As far as CITES, All Nepenthes, All Sarracenia, and Dionaea are Appendix II except for a few species of Nepenthes and Sarracenia that are Appendix I

Tony, could you briefly explain the difference between the two appendices?

HAHA is there such a thing as a brief explanation?

Appendix I - plants threatened with extinction.  (give up all hope of ever getting a CITES I import and export permit unless your a superhero)

Appendix II - plants threatened in the wild but not close to extinction (yet) (normal mortals can get an export permit if they try hard enough to get through the red tape and jump through numerous hoops etc etc)

If you would like to read the text right from the CITES document dealing with classifying the 3 appendixes and conditions to import/export appendix I and II.  

ARTICLE II Fundamental Principles
1. Appendix I shall include all species threatened with extinction which are or may be affected by trade. Trade in specimens of these species must be subject to particularly strict regulation in order not to endanger further their survival and must only be authorized in exceptional circumstances.

2. Appendix II shall include:

(a) all species which although not necessarily now threatened with extinction may become so unless trade in specimens of such species is subject to strict regulation in order to avoid utilization incompatible with their survival; and
(b) other species which must be subject to regulation in order that trade in specimens of certain species referred to in sub-paragraph (a) of this paragraph may be brought under effective control.

3. Appendix III shall include all species which any Party identifies as being subject to regulation within its jurisdiction for the purpose of preventing or restricting exploitation, and as needing the co-operation of other Parties in the control of trade.

4. The Parties shall not allow trade in specimens of species included in Appendices I, II and III except in accordance with the provisions of the present Convention.

ARTICLE III Regulation of Trade in Specimens of Species Included in Appendix I
1. All trade in specimens of species included in Appendix I shall be in accordance with the provisions of this Article.

2. The export of any specimen of a species included in Appendix I shall require the prior grant and presentation of an export permit. An export permit shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Scientific Authority of the State of export has advised that such export will not be detrimental to the survival of that species;
(b) a Management Authority of the State of export is satisfied that the specimen was not obtained in contravention of the laws of that State for the protection of fauna and flora;

© a Management Authority of the State of export is satisfied that any living specimen will be so prepared and shipped as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment; and

(d) a Management Authority of the State of export is satisfied that an import permit has been granted for the specimen.

3. The import of any specimen of a species included in Appendix I shall require the prior grant and presentation of an import permit and either an export permit or a re-export certificate. An import permit shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Scientific Authority of the State of import has advised that the import will be for purposes which are not detrimental to the survival of the species involved;
(b) a Scientific Authority of the State of import is satisfied that the proposed recipient of a living specimen is suitably equipped to house and care for it; and

© a Management Authority of the State of import is satisfied that the specimen is not to be used for primarily commercial purposes.

4. The re-export of any specimen of a species included in Appendix I shall require the prior grant and presentation of a re-export certificate. A re-export certificate shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Management Authority of the State of re-export is satisfied that the specimen was imported into that State in accordance with the provisions of the present Convention;
(b) a Management Authority of the State of re-export is satisfied that any living specimen will be so prepared and shipped as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment; and

© a Management Authority of the State of re-export is satisfied that an import permit has been granted for any living specimen.

5. The introduction from the sea of any specimen of a species included in Appendix I shall require the prior grant of a certificate from a Management Authority of the State of introduction. A certificate shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Scientific Authority of the State of introduction advises that the introduction will not be detrimental to the survival of the species involved;
(b) a Management Authority of the State of introduction is satisfied that the proposed recipient of a living specimen is suitably equipped to house and care for it; and

© a Management Authority of the State of introduction is satisfied that the specimen is not to be used for primarily commercial purposes.

ARTICLE IV Regulation of Trade in Specimens of Species
Included in Appendix II
1. All trade in specimens of species included in Appendix II shall be in accordance with the provisions of this Article.

2. The export of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior grant and presentation of an export permit. An export permit shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Scientific Authority of the State of export has advised that such export will not be detrimental to the survival of that species;
(b) a Management Authority of the State of export is satisfied that the specimen was not obtained in contravention of the laws of that State for the protection of fauna and flora; and

© a Management Authority of the State of export is satisfied that any living specimen will be so prepared and shipped as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment.

3. A Scientific Authority in each Party shall monitor both the export permits granted by that State for specimens of species included in Appendix II and the actual exports of such specimens. Whenever a Scientific Authority determines that the export of specimens of any such species should be limited in order to maintain that species throughout its range at a level consistent with its role in the ecosystems in which it occurs and well above the level at which that species might become eligible for inclusion in Appendix I, the Scientific Authority shall advise the appropriate Management Authority of suitable measures to be taken to limit the grant of export permits for specimens of that species.

4. The import of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior presentation of either an export permit or a re-export certificate.

5. The re-export of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior grant and presentation of a re-export certificate. A re-export certificate shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Management Authority of the State of re-export is satisfied that the specimen was imported into that State in accordance with the provisions of the present Convention; and
(b) a Management Authority of the State of re-export is satisfied that any living specimen will be so prepared and shipped as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment.

6. The introduction from the sea of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior grant of a certificate from a Management Authority of the State of introduction. A certificate shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Scientific Authority of the State of introduction advises that the introduction will not be detrimental to the survival of the species involved; and
(b) a Management Authority of the State of introduction is satisfied that any living specimen will be so handled as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment.

7. Certificates referred to in paragraph 6 of this Article may be granted on the advice of a Scientific Authority, in consultation with other national scientific authorities or, when appropriate, international scientific authorities, in respect of periods not exceeding one year for total numbers of specimens to be introduced in such periods.

LOL! Thanks Tony! So now that we have these nice, neat categories, which plants, as Pramod suggests, are free to ship, without encumbrances? I also realize that each country has its own import stipulations.

ok so plants/seeds that won't cause problems with CITES and require one of these documents:

SEEDS:  Usually without difficulty, including CITES II plants.  Some countries still require a phytosanitary certificate though even for seeds.

PLANTS:  CPS OTHER than Nepenthes, Sarracenia or Dionaea.

For plants and seeds though you would still need to know if the originating country and the destination country required any documents/certificates OTHER than CITES.. ie import/export permit, phytosanitary etc.

Perhaps this will help answer everyone's questions-
http://www.indconjoburg.co.za/articles.php?lng=en&pg=992
And here's where anyone interested can get a permit to ship plants of any type to him-
http://www.plantquarantineindia.org/docfiles/Schedule-X.htm

It would appear fines can be "substantial".

Tissue cultured plants appear to be exempt however it appears one must still procure the appropriate certification that the plants were produced from virus free mother stock.

Mr. Agrawal may very well be an absolutely wonderful man however I don't believe it is in any of our best interests to ship any plants or plant part thereof including seed or germplasm without dotting every i and crossing every t.  

There are nurseries out there capable of providing Phytosanitary Certificates.  Unfortunately, they are expensive but it would appear there to exist a reason why shipping plants to India is not exactly cost effective... procuration of requisite compliance documentation should same be deemed necessary.  Shipping CPs, or any other plant material, to India is not exactly something I would feel comfortable doing however there are those who may not share my concerns.

I (think) I read where a CITES permit is required for a plant of two Appendix I species that are crossed.

Example: Sarracenia oreophila x Sarracenia alabamensis.

The resulting plants/seeds require permits.

If one wants a discourse on the "merits, or lack thereof", of the CITES regulations - contact Dr. Guido Braem. LOL.

He is the subject of several chapters in the book, "Orchid Fever" by Eric Hansen.

It would be a great read for our European CP enthusiasts. Whole collections of orchids being confiscated by the plant police. Just because they do not have import permits.

It would be interesting to see if the proper paperwork could be furnished for all those Sarracenia...with the location data from: State Parks, private lands, National Forrests, the Okefenokee, and all the other explicitly labeled locations.

Why is it that these Europeans have more extensive collections, with location data, than anyone that I have seen here in the U.S.?

Tweek

He can have all my Taraxacum officinale stock.

--Mike

Now Mike... I've been working outside on and off almost all day and I just finished eating. Don't make me start laughing or my food might come up or something. Taraxacum officinale... ha ha ha.  I was thinking more along the lines of photographs or silk flowers so that none of us get in trouble.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why is it that these Europeans have more extensive collections, with location data, than anyone that I have seen here in the U.S.?
 Good question.

I also have a very healthy supply of Digitaria sanguinalis he can have.

--Mike

I'll raise you on the Digitaria sanguinalis and toss Rhamnus frangula, Coronilla varia, Alliaria officinalis, Euonymus alatus, and all Pyrus calleryana pear.

There OhioMike!  Compete with that!

How about Toxicodendron diversilobum, and Toxicodendron radicans.

--Mike

Boink!

Nope, not good enough to list Toxicodendron. Those may be poisonous but they are both capable of fruiting and sustaining wildlife and they actually do have a place in the North American landscape. I’m not saying that I want them on my property in quantity but a few here and there are ok.  

So, let’s replace those with Lythrum salicaria, Tamarix ramosissima, and Eichhornia crassipes. Hesperis matronalis, Convallaria magalis, and Hedera helix.

smile_n_32.gif

Thanks friends,

Well, I hope the topic of the discussion has changed and I guess, nobody is interested in trading seedlings or plants with me.
Thanks anyway.
Pramod.

Back