What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To all my trading partners:

How is my packing & shipping?

I want the plants to arrive in the best condition possible, but reasonably cheaply to me.

Do you have any comments, positive or negative about my packing methods?

Say Scott, what you sent me arrived with the speed of lightening which is impressive. Everything you sent was safe and sound!

Actually, I'd love to get some feedback on my packing too. Sorry for jumping on this thread with you Scott but I just started mailing out quantities of plants for the very first time this year and I always wonder if there isn't something I could be doing better too. I probably shouldn't add delivery confirmation as I am told this holds up US Priority by one day. Is this true?

Scott, the film canisters work very well. And the plants arrived in great condition. Some of the dews didn't even lose their dew.

Laura, everything was good. My one suggestion would be to not use the peanuts, but use news paper instead. But that is just more of personal annoyance.

No peanuts?  Good as that saves me money. I actually ran out of peanuts and felt guilty using wadded up paper this morning. Thanks for mentioning it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ June 23 2005,2:26)]Say Scott, what you sent me arrived with the speed of lightening which is impressive.
The trick is i typically mail packages on Saturday morning.

The mail is in transit on Sunday, and the rest of Saturday that they are closed to the public, so they can move mail with greater efficiency.

Saturdays, eh?  You're kidding right?  Are you sure plants won't just sit there in some sorting room that may or may not be heated or cooled over Sunday? I have been avoiding sending any plants out on any day other than Monday-Wednesday as USPS Priority generally delivers two-three days later. I'm afraid to try shipping out on a Saturday. Thanks for mentioning it though because I will go in and talk to the Post Master and ask her about this. We are rural and might not have employees who work on Sundays to get these packages into transit. Oh, I'm nervous about this. I've never seen so much as even one employee vehicle in the parking lot of my PO after 11am Saturday until Monday morning. That place is a ghost town after the lobby closes on Saturday. I gotta check this out.

Edited to add-
I stand 100% corrected. Scott, you are right. The Post Master said that Saturday morning was by far the best day to ship perishables for just the reasons you mentioned. Evidently everything goes out that is collected on Saturday and it goes to the main Post Office where people are in fact working. I would not have ever known this if you hadn't mentioned it. Thank you. Looks as if in the future I will try to go for Saturdays when ever possible.

Laura:

Maybe we should make a sticky about packing & shipping tips so people know how to pack securely and ship quickly as cheaply as possible...

I think posting actual photos would be a great idea. I have PMd you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ June 25 2005,2:52)]I think posting actual photos would be a great idea. I have PMd you.
You mean since the 23rd?

This is PERFECT for shipping aquatic Utrics:

Soda Bottle Preforms and Caps

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]All plastic "soda" or "pop" bottles start as a small plastic bottle called a preform. When this preform is heated and blown into a larger bottle it is ready to be filled with your favorite carbonated beverage. Our small plastic preforms come with full-sized final threaded openings so they use standard plastic soda bottle tops (included). Use them for a problem-solving activity by seeing if your students can guess their use. Our bottle caps are brand new and include an integrated safety ring so that you know if a sample has been opened after it has been sealed once. All bottle caps may be used again and again. These preforms are air and water tight when covered tightly with a bottle top and so are perfect for collecting or storing liquid samples. Preforms are ~12 cm long x 2.5 cm in diameter (~5" x 1"). Interior volume of preform is approximately 28 cc (~1 fluid oz). Package contains 30 Preforms and 30 bottle caps. Bottle caps sold separately as well.

They are $14.95 for 30.

Back