What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resurrection fern (polypodium) eppiphyte

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
i have ALOT of this fern. the mat almost covers the back of my 75 gallon terrarium. i can trade it all to one person (preferred) but i have no problems sending several people some. I have ALOT. all offers considered, including orchids. it's a very attractive fern.

http://www.selu.edu/Academics/Faculty/cjackson/wettreeedit.jpg

Resurrection fern (Polypodium polypodioides) is a common epiphyte that grows attached to the branches of live oak trees (Quercus virginiana) throughout the southeast US. During extended periods of dry weather, the fern dries out and curls up, appearing dead. Within 24 hours of rain the fern is green and fully extended. Given this rapid change from a dry to wet environment is likely that any microorganisms that colonize resurrection fern must be adapted to these unusual conditions. We're using a combination of enrichment, enzymatic, and molecular techniques to characterize the bacterial community associated with this unusual plant. Microbial enzyme activity appears to show an initial burst of activity as the fern is wetted, and a second increase in activity about 24 hours later, when the fern is fully extended. As the fern dries, microbial activity decreases.

I use to have this plant, let me tell you it's amazing.

Bump

i'll trade for almost anything.

Back