Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The brighter side of Devils claw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea, absolutly nothing about them seems quasi carnivorus. The only sticky part is deep in the flower where the nector is. the whole plant is covered in hair with little droplets on the ends like sundews but the liquid is like water. Not sticky at all.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes some do take a year. As i stuck a few in the ground directly and one grew and then one grew from one of the seeds that i planted the year before. I was surprised because the plant the year before didnt grow any viable seeds. but luckily i got a few this year
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Feb. 26 2006,2:27)] And what a flower... I can see how they get the "Devil" part of their name. The flower bud looks just like a demon, complete with horns and everything.
    The name actually comes from the seed pod rather than the flower pod, search for devils claw on google and you can find some good pics of the seed pods.

Also, they've been not-so-extensively (maybe moreso than I am aware of) tested for enzymes and such and nothing was found. Some are supposed to be sticky and trap bugs but not very impressively. The stigmatic surface is supposed to move if you touch it in this species, however, which is quite interesting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I kinda figured thats where the name came from. But if you look at a developing flower bud it looks exactly like a demons face. You can make out the nose, teeth, and it's got two red horns sticking up on top.

Anyway I now have bunch of fruit, so I'm waiting for it to dry and open. I also had to stick them all in the ground b/c they were to big for the pots. So all is well.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did this turn out?

And you probably should have broke open the seed pod and released the seeds... Dunno

Cool plant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, short after I planted them in the ground the plants were dug up and ripped to shreds by squirrels. But I did get a bunch of seed before the massacre. Right now the seeds are planted and I'm waiting germination. Who would have thought Devils Claws were squirrel favorites.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is a deveils claw?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Searching through the "Carnivorous/Quasi-Carnivrous" forum you will see this thread. It has some nice pictures.

Using the search function not only has the great benefit of finding what you are looking for, but you will often get tons of results of interesting stuff related to what you are searching for. I have spent more hours looking at the results that were returned from a search after I found the answer to which I was searching for. It truly is amazing.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12