What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My devils claw

Well this year i planted more from my seed and have two main plants one in which i planted in a community garden that i have that is really sunny all day and mostly dry. The plant is really humongous and is loaded with mutiple stalks on claws starting out and has like 10 flowers at a time. One other plant i planted in the sunniest spot at my house in a large pot. Its 1/3 the size. In this heat my largest one is growing rapidly like a weed daily.
smile_n_32.gif

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

I will keep posting new pictures as it continues to develop larger.

Has it made any "claws" yet?

-Ben

Yes matter of fact it has 10 full sized pods but they are green still and the plant is now twice that size its loaded with flowers plants like 3+ feet across.

I hope it all goes well for you, i heard that that's an awsome plant

It looks to me like i will have 20 plus pods currently. I will continue posting updated as it get humongous. I have this plant growing in my community garden as my yard isnt really that big and i planted it up there as a novalty plant as i usually grow vegatables. I always grew them at my house but they love the hot dry fields and plus it hasnt rained in a month.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
My sarracenia are very mad at this though as i keep having to drown them with water. Heres some pictures
Me with my plant

Reaches 4 foot across. Getting more pictures when the water runs off. It was sitting in an inch of water. after 4 inches of rainfall. We needed the rain but not to much to soon. (6 weeks of no rain before the storm). The plant loves the drought though and wont mind the rain.

I got my first claw of the season. Mosterous size claw like 5 inches across and i have like 20 that look like they should ripen.

IMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5302.jpg

Holy crap. That's scary looking. Would you be giving away any seeds?
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

I probably will be offering seeds almost definately after the season is over and i harvest them all.

Anymore updates? Is it beginning to die back now?

-Ben

carnivorkid:

you dont need to wait until the end of the season to harvest seed pods. Look at the last picture you posted. When the pod turns that color, and most importantly, dehisces (splits open), its time to harvest. If you wait, you will lose seeds to wind, animals, etc. I don't have experience with this species, but it is possible that viability of seeds may decrease with time as well.

no i pull them in before the pod splits. When the green pods split i cut them off. And then a few days after that they start to dry and the hooks spread apart. The plant was hit by 4 frosts in a row. So the plant has no leaves currently but still alive and green as far as the stems. I will post a picture of them currently.[/B]

I believe a moderator along the way asked me about posting a how to grow the devils claw plant giving in depth growing info. I have pictures from this when it was a seedling to now as a huge plant and now getting very near to the end of the season.

Ok first i have some pictures a week or so before frost hit taken on October 5th also as you can see due to lowering of temps the plant was stunted and started growing funny.Also something decides to eat the leaves. I thought that was interesting
smile.gif
The rest taken today

IMG_5332.jpg

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

After the frost
also due to the plants leaves containing like a dew kinda like a sundew the water freezes and damages the leaves easily. One frost knocked all the leaves dead.

IMG_5410.jpg

The stem showing how large they really get

IMG_5531.jpg

a pod spliting
IMG_5530.jpg

IMG_5529.jpg

IMG_5528.jpg

Enjoy
smile_n_32.gif

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5589.jpg

Well after 6 hard freezes the plant is completly dead and i am drying some of the seed pods going to count them up and see what i have very soon. These are the final pictures of the plant.
smile.gif

devils claw is super common where i live. i run into them all the time. they are very cool! nice to see u had very good sucess with it

hmm there common you say were you live? i do know they go as a weed someplaces. do you know what kind grows there? What color are the flowers. ibicellas are yellow and the prob.. are purplish.

OOOHHH I have always loved the devils claw however the only time I ever had one sprout was when it was accidentally mixed in with some of my spider plants, how do you germinate yours? it seems I can never get consistent germination with mine

the seeds are rather random and they pop up on there own in random places.I usually get good germination in my 4 tier greenhouse on the top shelf during april. They need it really warm to sprout. Also you can put the seeds in a pot and in a zip lock and place on a heat pad or something that is warm. They sprout naturally almost after stratification and sprout when temps climb and soil warms. they dont usually say much about this but i have planted some in a pot my first year trying them and gave up after a month or so. So i then dumped the pot and had it sprout the following year in my garden bed where i had dumped it. and i was chcking my plants one day and seen this dewy seedling in my garden and i was like hmm... and a few days later i had remembered i dumped those seeds there and being my first time growingf them i was unfamiliar with them.

i'd like to try some next year.

It gets plenty warm here in florida, and it stays somewhat dry in some areas.

BTW: i like your new avatar.:)

Back