What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ibicella seed pods

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I just received a bunch of seedpods and did a little forum search, which had a little info about the seeds and Miracle Grow. I read Savage Garden and came up with using warm water to loosen up the pods. Anybody attempting to work with the seedpods?

yes i sure do know a good bit about them i have 50 seed pods from my plants. First of all i would recomend waiting till spring as the seeds grow only when temps are getting really warm and the soil is moist. So they need warm sols to sprout. One time i had a pot full of seeds and they didnt grow that year so i dumped them into the garden and it sprouted the next spring when the soil warmed. Warm water would probably loosen the seed but actually i dont do anything with mine just plant them and they should come up in a week. I usually start the plants in a pot and transplant them. I started mine in a 4 tier greenhouse on the top shelf in like april and the temps inside were 80-90 and really humid. Plastic bag would probably do the trick. Like i said the seeds seem to brake open easily themselves. Check the other topic in this section about the growing picts of my plant. From seedling to a 3x3 foot plant.
tounge.gif

Oh and when the plants growing miracle gro it as if any regular plant.!!

Hi Brandon! I'll keep mine in cold storage for the next few months and catch ya later on the details.

PSSSSTTTT. Jim.
I know something about growing them. PM me .
Lois

Jim, although they need warmth to grow well you will need to start them off as soon as the weather changes. The seed pods take months to ripen off, if you leave them too late the seed won't ripen enough for next year and the plants are annuals so they won't last through next winter.

Oh.... maybe I'll spend some time this afternoon, with the knife. I just have mental images of what you described with that process!

Lois.... I forgot all about this thread!

I use a crochet hook to push the seeds out of the pod.
See if the Mrs. has one.
Lois

That's a good idea! Lynn may not have one, but I'm sure someone in the church must have one they can spare. Not exactlys sure what I am getting into, besides blood and tedium.:0o:

Back