What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's Claw Germination!!!

just recently I recieved some Devil's claw seeds from Carnivorkid and I decided to do a nexperiment. 1 of the seeds I'd peel off 1/2 of the seed coat, and the rest I'd leave alone.
Then I soaked them overnight. After the soaking I put them in a Damp paper towel and put them under some lights for about 5 days. I just checked them 5 days after putting them in the damp paper towel, and the peeled one has germinated!!! I'll try and post pics later.

I'm soooooooo excited!!!!!

Good for you dave,
I usually soak mine for 2 days. without taking off the outer testa.
jest make sure that you have plenty of light so they don't get too leggy(etoliated).
Lois

yeah, I have another one that germinated!!

This one also had it's rough outer seed coat taken off half way

I'm in the process of germinating... got'em soaking and planted a few days ago.

Who knew non-carnivorous weeds could be so hard to germinate?

I've got a sticky catalpa tree I'll sell ya :-))

lol, actually....this is so far the easiest and fastest germinating cp/non cp that I've attempted to grow from seed yet.

lol, actually....this is so far the easiest and fastest germinating cp/non cp that I've attempted to grow from seed yet.

Dandelions are even easier! :-))

Here's a pic of the first Seedling, sorry for the blurryness.

David010.jpg

I prefer to use bleach. >: D It's a good thing I read saw this post because it reminded me that I have some in bleach right now. x_x I almost overdid it again!

I accidentally killed my other one because I forgot to water it. x_x

By the way, congrats! I think I'll try to germinate mine in a damp paper towel this time as well.

yeah, just make sure that you get them before the roots stick to the paper towel, because it might cause damage to the tap root. That's how I accidentally killed my first one. It has a very distinct scent when the leaves are rubbed.

I was told that they smell like moldy oranges, lol.

well a little bit different in my opinion.

i have a nice flat full of seedlings i grew on a heat mat it does drastically improve the rate of germination alot as they grow naturally when the soil starts thawing and warms pretty quick and the temperature rises. I have a large amount of seeds around still and i am gettng like 90 % germination i know some were looking for some seeds. I had like 30 claws and they have like at least 30 seeds in each pod.

I sowed 10 seeds out of the pod I received and now have 2 5" seedlings. I traded (or gave) the others away. I did not use any bottom heat, I am waiting to see how many sprout as I put the tray outside soon when the nights are above 60 and days above 80- more consistently.

I put mine out when the days were in the low seventies to 60's and nights down to the 40's and they still germinated for me. I just hope that they survive the cold snap that we're having today :-(

how did the devils claw do this summer?

great!
I got +30 pods and Seeds up the kazoo, but I am currently propagating them 'for real' now cause all of my pods were bought from me (minus the seeds). So I wanted to see what these guys could do for me. Plus they keep the birds away from my other plants

Back