What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Carnivore? Correct me if I'm horribly mistaken...

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
Hi everybody,

I came across some wierd site, and I saw a pic of Ledothamnus decumbens. It looks pretty carnivorous, so cool!!!!! If any1 has any comments, that'd be nice :) . Thanks

Uh... whats so special about it?

Well... it's not a Drosera, yet it's got sticky goo and an ant on it...

...seems pretty funky to me lol

Last edited by a moderator:
...It grows in the Tropical Savannas and in SWAMPS.

Thats another step in the right direction. It could have some of the same traits as Stylidium. But there is many more steps to take before considering it fully carnivorous, and still a few to even consider it proto-carnivorous.

...It grows in the Tropical Savannas and in SWAMPS.
dosent mean its carnivorous. cranberry grows in swamps too.... and Drosophyllum grows in dry rock.
Alex

Yes, but at least it's not growing in Iowa.

There are carnivorous plants in Iowa.

Technically, S.purpurea purpurea's range covers parts of iowa. I'm not sure if any stands still exist (or ever did) there.

I mean in the GOOD soil in Iowa XD.

No, I don't believe there are any there at all anymore. I've never heard of it, at least.

D. rotundifolia is there, as well as several species of Utricularia. The USDA does not list Iowa has having any Sarracenia.

Really? Wow.

what about this one that I found on the second link? I think that it looks very likely, but I've never heard of it before.

Ledothamnus decumbens

Keep in mind that there are some plants that employ sticky glands as a primarily defensive measure, to prevent pests from scaling certain portions of stem. "Bugs stick to it" isn't synonymous with carnivorous. Think of how cautiously Roridula is given carnivorous status - folks make special exception to mention that it's a carnivore-by-proxy; a symbiotic type of assassin bug lives on Roridula, consuming trapped bugs and fertilizing the plant with their waste, if I recall. But the plant itself doesn't do anything to digest the trapped bugs - it's left to an associate species to make effective use of the prey.
~Joe

Potatoes are like that lmao.

And petunias.... And catalpa trees lmao.

Isn't that like saying that the pitcher plant that doesn't produce digestive fluids isn't carnivorous?

In order for it to be deemed a CP, it would probably have to have some identified way that it digests prey, weather it be bacterial or by enzymes.

Well... a slurry of water and bacteria could be called digestive juice since it's juice full of things that digest for the plant.

We all have bacteria in our intestines that help us digest. Kind of the same thing, sort of.

We all have bacteria in our intestines that help us digest. Kind of the same thing, sort of.

Shocking similarities lol... After all... humans did evolve from Sarracenia...not monkeys!

ooh Darwin, you got burned!!!

:-O

Last edited by a moderator:
In order for it to be deemed a CP, it would probably have to have some identified way that it digests prey, weather it be bacterial or by enzymes.

that is why Roridula isnt fully carnivorous and Darlingtonia or Heliamphora are! what about the bromeliads? they are quasi carnivorous...right? but if bacteria help break down the bugs....its then as you said carnivorous.

Back