What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's Claw Observation

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I had a few seeds in the fridge for awhile and decided to attempt germination. So with hammer and screwdriver I delicatly destroyed, apparently, all but one. At the moment I have in the Nep planter, under artificial lighting.

First of all, it grows like a weed! It went from one inch to three inches in slightly more than a week. Butwhat really intigues me was that the cotyledon leaves are in a different position every day. It's kinda like watching the position of the moon in the sky, from one day to the next. Has anyone else noticed a rotation?

Interesting...has it continued to follow the moon? Is it exposed to moonlight?

The moon was an analogy, but efter growing erect for several days it fell over. So I propped the stem on a nearby Nep leaf and then propped the whole setup on top of a 3" thick phone book. The new growth is erect again. I haven't noticed it turning anymore. The actual setup in about 15' from a window but under a Grolite.

Which species are you growing? I picked up a few Martynia annua pods from the LACPS meeting, which is not suspected of being a carnivore. These are invasive species so care should be taken in growing them.

Which species? Ibicella lutea?

It seems to have stopped rotating. It is now about 8" tall, on its 3rd set of true leaves. Should I repot in topsoil, now, or wait until spring?

Where can I get some devils claw? I have wanted to grow them for a while.

You should be able to find them locally. They grow wild in Western TX. Kind of weedy.

i'm just wondering.. how does a devil claw catch insect? or prey.

if i know my botany, kinda like a ping or dew? Am i right guys?

Yeah, you are.

It has tons of sticky hairs, which secrete a strong and smelly goop, on big (almost pumpkin like in my eyes) leaves.

It is not carnivorous though, i.e. doesnt digest prey.

I've seen pictures of the flowers. That alone is worth cultivating them.

Yeah, you are.

It has tons of sticky hairs, which secrete a strong and smelly goop, on big (almost pumpkin like in my eyes) leaves.

It is not carnivorous though, i.e. doesnt digest prey.

how sure are you frankie? Ive read (here) that it hasnt been proven for either way. Why would a plant produce something if it doesnt benefit it? Ma Nature wouldnt do that i dont think. Is there any proof?

how sure are you frankie? Ive read (here) that it hasnt been proven for either way. Why would a plant produce something if it doesnt benefit it? Ma Nature wouldnt do that i dont think. Is there any proof?

See Barry's FAQ link in my earlier post:
I have grown this plant to flower a number of times, and while I could see insects being captured by the leaves I was not impressed. Furthermore, I have tested this plant for digestive enzymes using the simple film-emulsion test and have found absolutely no indication of enzyme production. Nor have I seen symbiotic bugs living on them, performing the digestion as is seen on Roridula and other carnivorous plants (although this kind of study done in the plant's native range would be very interesting).

In a nutshell, there is no good evidence that this is anything other than just another sticky plant.

Thanks for the links! I can't wait to get it repotted and outside, on that porch.

May be the stickyness keeps bugs from eating it.??? That would be my best guess without reading that page.

ICPS said:
Do not ever let these plants or their seeds get out of your direct control. They can become invasive weeds and kill wildlife.

I reread the ICPS page and had forgotten that Devil's Claw can be considered invasive. Jim, have you any experience with it spreading quickly? When it says do not let plants or seeds get out of your direct control does this mean that it readily propagates by stem and/or leaf cuttings like if a branch breaks off? Or does it just mean to be careful?

xvart.

It'll be on the porch in the background, second floor. This is my first time with the plant.

IMG_0050-1.jpg

Back