Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Etiolated Devil's Claw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimscott, can you give that any more light? They grow in full, blazing (and I mean BLAZING) sun in the wild.
    I don't think the seeds need stratification, but they will need scarfication and/or GA3 soak.

I've sowed some on 2 separate occasions and can never get them to germinate, but others have had great success (with my lot of seed).

Um...who's jeannette? Anyway, I think being banned only means you can't post.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Jimscott, can you give that any more light? They grow in full, blazing (and I mean BLAZING) sun in the wild.
    I don't think the seeds need stratification, but they will need scarfication and/or GA3 soak.

I've sowed some on 2 separate occasions and can never get them to germinate, but others have had great success (with my lot of seed).

Um...who's jeannette? Anyway, I think being banned only means you can't post.
    I'd love to give them more light.... just can't right now. They are right at the south facing living room window, under a Grolux light. I'm hoping it will hang on until I can take it outside. What lower temps can it handle?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Did you grow that from seed? If you did, did you have to stratify them? or where they easy to get started? I always see them for sale on EBAY and wondered if I would have any luck getting it to grow.

Hey, one other thing. How can you receive a PM from someone who is banned from this site?
    I'm not familiar with this Jeanette person..... must not have been around long enough to be noticed.

I have an ePermit, which allows me to receive "small lots of seeds" from other countries, legally. So I received some Devil's Claw seeds, as well a several Sarracenias from a friend in England.

I was fortunate to not have butchered this particular seedling whil doing the scarification thing and it surprised the daylights out of me, springing up from my Nep planter.

If I am further fortunate to bring it to maturity and flowering, I'd be happy to share with others.

I didn't do any stratifying... just a lot of "butchering" the seeds in scarification. I got lucky!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, they're such invasive weeds I would have thought nothing special was needed for seed germination.

This site says just soak the seeds in warm tap water first:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0801.htm

This site also lists some sources for seeds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the site! Mine is Ibicella lutea. How cold can they tolerate? I would like to put it outside ASAP.

Scraification came recommended to me. I think it is like Morning Glory seeds - scarifciation or soaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey jimscott,

I would imagine Ibicella can't deal with too low of temps, since it's a pretty southern-growing plant (TX/CA desert).

I think I can send you some Probiscedea lousianica seeds if you want (PM me if interested). They are from Mineral Wells, TX, which gets temps down to the teens in the winter.
    Last edited by phissionkorps; 01-26-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: awful, awful grammar
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I've got the warm weather ones and need the more temperate variety. Sent ya a PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea they need alot of light i have had them sprout accidently incide and they grow real skiny and elongated. lol . I grow them outside i had a plant 5 feet across this year. They grow Huge in one season. I have some pictures up on one of these threads.
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast