User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone growing Proboscidea/Ibicella this season?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, Anna! We'll work on that picture!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I planted mine in a stryofoam cup with perlite and some soil from here but no seedlings yet and I'm going to plant a couple of rows of Devil's Claws When the weather gets warmer in the garden. Am I doing it right? Just asking and I decided to try removing the seed coat and soaking the seeds to see which one germanates the best. The other styrofoam cup has Perlite and Potting soil in it.
    Winter Flurry

My Live Journal
    http://charro-greg.livejournal.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter if i recall you have the blackseed kind, you need to treat those seed...cut them or something like that? the white kind are the only ones that lack the germination inhibitors.
    i just started up some last night
    Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana from Joosa
    thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I scratched off the seed coat with my finger nails. Would hot water harm the seeds or make them germinate better and Should I go ahead and prepare the seeds for planting? Would Hot water work as good as nicking the seeds? Just asking. When should I expect seedlings?
    Last edited by Winter Flurry; 04-03-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: To condense my questions
    Winter Flurry

My Live Journal
    http://charro-greg.livejournal.com/

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be using a nail file and soak them in warm water. But I will sow them directly outside this year, probably in May. Starting it inside got germination but it was light-starved and never made it outside. I'm also going to sow them directly into the ground instead of a planter. I think it needed the vertical growth it couldn't get in a planter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got 22 Proboscidea Parviflora var. Hohokiamia seeds from the ICPS seedbank in March, and I did everything that Joosa did for his. They germinated in 2 DAYS! 10 germinated, and I killed 5 of them by keeping their pots in a water scaucer. The other five have gone through frost 4 or 5 times, 90 degree weather, an inland hurricane, and the possibility of being pulled up by a 2 yo toddler, and I have one flower bud! I'll post pics on the Devil's Claw pic thread when it opens.

Happy growing!
    Aslan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123