What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone growing Proboscidea/Ibicella this season?

joossa

Aklys
Anyone growing Proboscidea/Ibicella/Martynia this season?

I acquired some Proboscidea seed and I am now waiting for temperatures to warm up so that I can sow the seed. My nighttime lows are in the high 30's to low 40's, so I'll propbably have to wait until mid April to sow.

Besides Jimscott, is anyone else growing Proboscidea or Ibicella, or even the smaller variety- Martynia? If so what variety will you grow and when do you plan on sowing?

I am very excited about growing them. :)

I got a packet of each from the ICPS last winter...i sowed them last saturday (thank you california weather!)...

I have Ibicella lutea i belive, and Proboscidea louisianica. I planted them next to my new baby mango, in a 1:1:1 mix of natural clayish dirt, orchid mix, and cactus mix. Fingers crossed they'll sprout! :)

Good luck!

Hi All:

Im going to plant my Devil Claw seeds this spring probably after May 15th. I think im going to plant them in a large pot and then just bring it inside for the winter.

I'm getting ready to sow some P. parviflora (?) for my first time...starting inside, then when weather gets better (WARMER) shifting them outside... See how it likes the Alaskan summer.

I planted Ibicella lutea and Proboscidea louisianica a couple of months ago under my patio. I am planning on putting it around my fence because the deer, mules, and turkeys wont eat it. If you plant them this late will they still flower? I have seen them in the wild when i was a kid and i know the ibicella gets big and sticky, i dont know if i would bring it in the house.

Good question--I don't know much about the flowers. Pretty. I'm really new to the Proboscidea. I've heard they do get big and sticky--I have a large heated garage with growing room...hoping to start some there, and then move it outside...it's a grand experiment!

Aside from Me? Aside from the one plant that is severely stunted, I have 5 seeds in a pot, witing to germnate. Like Anna, I am waiting for a warmup.

I planted Ibicella lutea and Proboscidea louisianica a couple of months ago under my patio. I am planning on putting it around my fence because the deer, mules, and turkeys wont eat it. If you plant them this late will they still flower? I have seen them in the wild when i was a kid and i know the ibicella gets big and sticky, i dont know if i would bring it in the house.
I read that Ibicella smells pretty bad and will repel animals, so you might be in luck about the deer, mules, etc. :) About the flowers... The plants are annuals; so as long as they germinated for you and don't get exposed to frosts, they'll eventually flower.

Aside from Me? Aside from the one plant that is severely stunted, I have 5 seeds in a pot, witing to germnate. Like Anna, I am waiting for a warmup.
It's not that stunted... just a bit etiolated, right Jim? :) Good luck with it!

i have 3 different Proboscidea varieties from last year. one is a multiclawed form...having like 4 or 6 claws or something like that. the other two have location data which are from Hohokomia(or something like that...) Indian Reservation. one of those two have very long claws. im waiting to sow them after frosts are gone...

Alex

pics anyone? I'll upload mine in a second...or a few hours... ;)

Is it cool to just store the seeds in a dry place? Or should they be in the fridge?

Is it cool to just store the seeds in a dry place? Or should they be in the fridge?
I am keeping my second batch of seed in a zip-lock bag in my drawer.

...love your avatar, BTW,

Hi All:

My Devils Claw seeds are finally growing. So far I have one seedling. Just wondering how everyone else is doing with their plants..

i have my first little baby green claws! yeah! On my Ibecella!

I have three genus' and thus 3 different species planted. I am totally shut out with the Martybia annua, but have 3 P. parviflora, and 4 I. lutea. This was taken last weekend:

Phoyos075.jpg

Phoyos076.jpg

Hi All:

My devils claw bloomed today. It is light pink with golden orange lines down the middle. It almost reminds me of a foxglove. It does smell kind of bad when the sunlight shines on it. Im going to try and let one seed pod develope then dead head the rest of the plant. i want to see if I can keep it growing in the winter.

Congrats, Anna! We'll work on that picture!

I planted mine in a stryofoam cup with perlite and some soil from here but no seedlings yet and I'm going to plant a couple of rows of Devil's Claws When the weather gets warmer in the garden. Am I doing it right? Just asking and I decided to try removing the seed coat and soaking the seeds to see which one germanates the best. The other styrofoam cup has Perlite and Potting soil in it.

Winter if i recall you have the blackseed kind, you need to treat those seed...cut them or something like that? the white kind are the only ones that lack the germination inhibitors.
i just started up some last night :)
Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana from Joosa ;)
thanks again

I scratched off the seed coat with my finger nails. Would hot water harm the seeds or make them germinate better and Should I go ahead and prepare the seeds for planting? Would Hot water work as good as nicking the seeds? Just asking. When should I expect seedlings?

Last edited:
Back