User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone growing Proboscidea/Ibicella this season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse Anyone growing Proboscidea/Ibicella/Martynia this season?

I acquired some Proboscidea seed and I am now waiting for temperatures to warm up so that I can sow the seed. My nighttime lows are in the high 30's to low 40's, so I'll propbably have to wait until mid April to sow.

Besides Jimscott, is anyone else growing Proboscidea or Ibicella, or even the smaller variety- Martynia? If so what variety will you grow and when do you plan on sowing?

I am very excited about growing them.
    -Joel from Southern California

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a packet of each from the ICPS last winter...i sowed them last saturday (thank you california weather!)...

I have Ibicella lutea i belive, and Proboscidea louisianica. I planted them next to my new baby mango, in a 1:1:1 mix of natural clayish dirt, orchid mix, and cactus mix. Fingers crossed they'll sprout!

Good luck!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

carnivorus plant collector
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All:

Im going to plant my Devil Claw seeds this spring probably after May 15th. I think im going to plant them in a large pot and then just bring it inside for the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting ready to sow some P. parviflora (?) for my first time...starting inside, then when weather gets better (WARMER) shifting them outside... See how it likes the Alaskan summer.
    Fishing: A Perpetual Series of Occasions for Hope....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I planted Ibicella lutea and Proboscidea louisianica a couple of months ago under my patio. I am planning on putting it around my fence because the deer, mules, and turkeys wont eat it. If you plant them this late will they still flower? I have seen them in the wild when i was a kid and i know the ibicella gets big and sticky, i dont know if i would bring it in the house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question--I don't know much about the flowers. Pretty. I'm really new to the Proboscidea. I've heard they do get big and sticky--I have a large heated garage with growing room...hoping to start some there, and then move it outside...it's a grand experiment!
    Fishing: A Perpetual Series of Occasions for Hope....

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from Me? Aside from the one plant that is severely stunted, I have 5 seeds in a pot, witing to germnate. Like Anna, I am waiting for a warmup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgardner View Post
    I planted Ibicella lutea and Proboscidea louisianica a couple of months ago under my patio. I am planning on putting it around my fence because the deer, mules, and turkeys wont eat it. If you plant them this late will they still flower? I have seen them in the wild when i was a kid and i know the ibicella gets big and sticky, i dont know if i would bring it in the house.
    I read that Ibicella smells pretty bad and will repel animals, so you might be in luck about the deer, mules, etc. About the flowers... The plants are annuals; so as long as they germinated for you and don't get exposed to frosts, they'll eventually flower.

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Aside from Me? Aside from the one plant that is severely stunted, I have 5 seeds in a pot, witing to germnate. Like Anna, I am waiting for a warmup.
    It's not that stunted... just a bit etiolated, right Jim? Good luck with it!
    -Joel from Southern California

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast