Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: P. parviflora journal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9/5/08- (afternoon) I was looking at the plants this afternoon and noticed that the new growth on plant #1 was extremely sticky. The new emerging leaves, petioles, and even the stems had a ton of "dew". Since I began growing these plants I have not seen such an amount of "dew" on any of the plant's foliage and I am not sure what caused the new growth of #1 to become so sticky. After close inspection of this area, I finally saw PROOF! Yes, evidence of the plant's pseudo-carnivorous nature. There was a small black ant/wasp looking insect. It was dead and located on the sticky hairs of a vertically oriented petiole, just like a bug gets stuck on a Drosera. I am pretty happy because I thought I would end the growing season without seeing evidence of these plants' wannabe carnivorous abilities.

9/6/08- I have been observing minor caterpillar damage throughout the week... yet again! I wanted to hold off on the insecticide, but today I had no choice. I saw four buggers chewing on different plants and fresh turds everywhere. So I sprayed away again.

9/10/08- Today, I had a minor accident. Well, it's more like I caused a minor accident. As I was pollinating and stepping around the patch, I got into an area that had very little open space. It was towards the front. As I moved, my leg snapped off a stem that contained three medium to small sized claws from plant #8. They were still very tender and I am guessing that none of their seed will be viable.

9/12/08- Plant #5 had a fruit that dehisced for the first time today. As I was harvesting the small fruit, I saw another on the floor right next to it. It had not split yet and I don't know how it ended up off its stem.

Now that many of the lower leaves have fallen off the more older, mature plants, one can see just how thick the stems can get, especially towards the base of the plants.

9/19/08- More harvesting!! Yesterday, I did a quick count of how many total claws I have already harvested and I got count of 60 claws. The longest one thus far is a whopping 16 inches! Again, please remember that I am measuring from stem to claw tip, accounting for the claw's curve. Also, the largest seed yield from a single claw is 93 seeds!

Since temperatures have slightly dropped, I finally started watering less a couple days ago. The watering every other day method seems to be working out so far. Temperatures are still in the low to mid 90's, so I am still keeping an eye on them. The growing season is slowing down and the plants seem to reflect this a bit. I am seeing less flowers pop up and am spending less time pollinating.

I was also searching on the internet and found another page from the Wayne's World website that I had not seen before and that mentions devil's claws, specifically, the hohokamiana (domesticated) variety. It mentions that it is not unusual for the claws of this variety to get up to 15 inches long. Here is the link. You'll have to scroll down to section #8 The World's Largest Hitchhiking Fruit:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0601.htm

Lastly, I updated the data table once again… see the attachment below. Also, I got the chance to purchase some film for my camera, so look out for pictures sometime in the near future.

Thanks!
    -Joel from Southern California

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post a picture of what it looks like when it has dehisced? This was a learning curve and I'll likely end up with no viable seeds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um... the oldest fruit, which is the smallest, and the one that got bent over last week, just split. Is that the dehiscing phenomenon? Do I just keep it cool and dry? It may not have anything worthwhile, dying an untimely death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Um... the oldest fruit, which is the smallest, and the one that got bent over last week, just split. Is that the dehiscing phenomenon? Do I just keep it cool and dry? It may not have anything worthwhile, dying an untimely death.
    Yes, if it's splitting then the dehiscing process has begun. I keep mine at room temperature and let them dry for several days before attempting to extract any seed.

9/21/08- Alright people! The moment you (or at least I) have been waiting for.... more pictures!!!! All of these were taken on Friday afternoon. The coin is a US quarter and is for size reference. The white paper in some of the pictures is an piece of 8.5 X 11 inches. No dogs were harmed in the taking of these pictures.

Lastly, there are quite a few pictures. I wanted to keep it to a minimum, but couldn't help myself. I cropped and resized as much as possible. I, myself have a dial-up connection and will have to wait for all of the pictures to load.

Enjoy!

-Freshly harvested fruit. You can see the green flesh is falling off, exposing the claw inside. The claw itself has not split to a significant degree:

-This claw has split a bit more. It's fruit skin is dry and brittle. You can kind of see the creamy seeds inside the pod if you look hard enough:

-One of my biggest claws with seed. The seed is kind of hard to see on the white paper:

-Same claw. You can see inside the seed capsule where the seeds are housed. You can even see some seed up in there:

-Better picture of that claw with quarter:

-Twins! They began to dehisce at the same time and were on the same stem, so I harvested them together.

-One of my drying boards:

-Same drying board top-view. Note the different stages of the dehiscing process:

-All of my drying boards spread out on my desk:

-Side view:

-Lucy and a claw:

-Okay, this is my box that is currently housing the claws that no longer have seed. Once I take out all of the seed from a claw, the claw ends up in here. I think I'll need a bigger box later.:

-Same claws from the box, except now they're playing Twister. Left foot red!:

-Side view. You can see their parents providing supervision way back in the background :

-The patch, front view:

-The patch, side view:

-The patch, opposite side:

-Close up of #1 towards the back, and #4 in the front. You can see some of their fruit too!:

-#1's stem. Pretty thick, huh?

Thanks for viewing!!!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this is really interesting. Hehe...Twister xD
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures and great educational tool! I saw what I thought were black seeds in mine as well as a bunch of white. I thought the white was due to beinhaving been bent over before it had time to develop. So I guess they are just unripened seeds and need time to darken up?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I opened it up and harvested a whopping 10 seeds. They look like ugly, whitish, non-smooth, watermelon seeds. There are still a few other claws, FWIW.

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    joosa,

Did you get these from the ICPS? Thats were i got mine, and they are COMPLETELY different! My I. lutea are the ones making 16" claws, not P. louisianica! They are making measly little 1"-6" ones! And in both species, the seeds have a hard outer black shell. The white seed you have is on the inside...very very interesting. Great looking plant btw, and nice little help tool!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast