Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: P. parviflora journal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, Jim!

Some more entries:
    6/7/08- The flower bud on #2 has gotten much bigger. I am expecting it to bloom anytime now. It's times like these that I really wish I had a camera. The sepals have opened and revealed the actual flower bud, which has elongated to the point where it resembles an almost perfect rectangular prism. It is pale yellow to cream in color. The flower bud has five little projections (almost like little horns) on the end. There are three on the top and two on the bottom. Keep in mind that it is still closed. The sepals are not very distinct; they also have the fuzzy hairs all over. I drew this to substitute for a picture:

Plant #2 is also growing a total of four new leaves now. It seems to have branched off and is growing a set of two on one side and another set of two on the other side of the stem. Surprisingly, #1 seems to be lagging behind a bit. #1 is one day older than #2, but its flower bud is still very small and is behind on leaf production when compared to #2. I took some quick measurements noting how tall each plant is (from the ground to the tallest leaf): #1= 9.5cm, #2= 11cm, #4= 7.8cm, and #5= 4cm.

Lastly, I also had two more plants germinate today. Yay! These will be #6 and #7. Both of these are from the second batch of seed that were sown on 5/21/08.

Germination Tally: 7
    Plants That Have Died: 1
    Plants Alive: 6

6/8/08- I woke up to find the the flower on plant #2 has finally opened. Beautiful! It reminds me of a snap dragon flower. It's pink and has a yellow nectar "trail" leading to the inside of the flower. I had trouble identifying the stigma and the anthers. I have not read much information regarding pollination, so I didn't know what to really do. Is it self fertile? Does it self seed? Any help on this matter is appreciated.
    I decided to use a soft paintbrush and attempt to hand pollinate the flower to itself. All I did was insert the brush and wiggle it around the anthers and stigma. I did see some pollen grains fall off, but still could not ID the stigma, so I kept wiggling it around for about one minute. The stigma is supposed to move when stimulated, but again I did not see it. I wonder how long the flower will last?

6/9/08- (Morning) The two new seedlings (6 and 7) took yesterday's heat pretty well. It got up to 94F. Their embryonic leaves are now open and soaking up the morning sun.
    The flower on #2 is still open.

(Evening) I came home from work and found that the flower on #2 fell off. It was right in front of the plant and it didn't seem to be cut off or pulled off, so I am assuming the flower dropped it on its own. The stigma and sepals were left connected to the flower's stem. The flower had four full anthers + stamens and one that was cut off (maybe an additional one was cut off as well, but this one was hard to tell as the cut was very near the base).

Thanks for reading.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6/11/08- Well, I learned an important lesson today... I should stop touching the plants so much. Unfortunately, as I was touching the leaves on plant #2, its flower bud + stem fell off (this is the one that had flowered days before). Maybe it was going to fall off anyway or maybe not, but I guess I shouldn't have been poking around where I don't belong. It's not a big loss as it was the first flower and more are on the way.

6/13/08- I went to the store and purchased some more humus as I will be moving plants #6 and #7 into the ground today. I made some holes in the devil's claw patch and first inserted #6. The removal from its pot went nicely as the plant + soil "plug" slipped out nicely and did not fall apart. Then it was #7's turn. This one didn't go so nicely as the soil "plug" came apart as I was inserting it into the hole. In fact, it was the worst one yet. The entire thing fell apart and the plant and its roots where stripped of all soil. I quickly placed it into the ground.

I added some more top layering of humus to the patch and watered throughly. Lastly, I inserted popsicle stick markers next to these two plants. Again, the markers have the plant number and the germination date written in pencil. I should also note here that I am watering only during the late afternoon (right before sundown). The patch stays wet overnight until midday the following morning when the sun drys it all up.

6/15/08- It doesn't seem like plant #7 took the moving into the ground so well. The embryonic leaves are starting to look pretty bad and the plant itself looks nearly wilted. I can see the first pair of true leaves coming up on this one. They are green and healthy, so I still have some hope for it.

On the other hand, #6 took the moving very well. It settled right in with it's older siblings. As of now, I have run out of room for any further plants in my patch. As I mentioned before, I am leaving 2 to 3 feet of space between them so they have plenty of room to spread as adults. The patch now houses all of my plants, which is a total of six. The younger ones are in the front and the older ones in the back.

There isn't much to report on the older plants. #1 and #2 are getting big now and are growing multiple and bigger leaves at once. I can still see buds on #1, but it has yet to flower. Only #2 has flowered. #5 (remember this is the weird one, having the three embryonic leaves instead of two) is still small only having one set of true leaves.

An interesting observation to note here is that #1 and #2 are now sticky! Yes, just like a sundew. I cannot actually see the "dew"on the plants, but I can sure feel it! Along with the dewiness, they are also now quite hairy and fuzzy as well. I have not seen them catch any insects, though.

No further germination from the seed batches have been observed.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our recent rainstorms bent the 2 youngest Ibicellas at the stems and killed them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Our recent rainstorms bent the 2 youngest Ibicellas at the stems and killed them.
    Sad to hear about that Jim. Hope the others are doing well.

6/17/08- I had lots of seed germinate today! When I got home in the afternoon I saw that three seedlings had popped up. All were from the second batch. These are #8, 9, and 10. After watering, I went to the patch and noticed that a seedling germinated there too! It was right next to plant #6, so I am sure that it hitchhiked in #6's pot, which was one of the big ones hosing three seeds. So this new seedling is #11.

The small plantlet was too close to #6, so I dug it up and moved it away from #6. I know, I know, I mentioned that the patch could not host anymore plants, but I moved #11 about 1 foot from #6. I hope this will suffice.

I have no idea where I will move #8, 9, and 10 now. I definitely cannot move them to the patch as it is filled to capacity. I also don't want to use large pots. I guess I'll have to find an appropriate location elsewhere in my garden, but then I'll have to fence it off just like the patch in order to keep my little dog away from them. I'll also have to prepare the soil if I choose a ground location, as the soil is mostly clay and sand, not to mention the poor fertility. Hmmm... is there such thing as having too many devil's claw plants?

6/18/08- I found plant #7 dead this morning. I guess it didn't take the stress of the moving so well.

Germination Tally: 11
    Plants That Have Died: 2
    Plants Alive: 9

EDIT: Here is my 10 day weather forecast for anyone that is interested in temps:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6/22/08- I moved plants 8 and 9 into the ground where #7 used to be. Since 8 and 9 germinated in the same pot, I decided to move them into the ground together. Yes there is like only 3 inches between them, but I will decide what to do about this once they begin to get bigger.

Today I had two more plants germinate: #12 and #13. Strange as it is, both of these are quite deformed. Each germinated in a small seedling pot. #12 has odd shaped embryonic leaves. It seemed to have trouble shedding that endo-seed coat and that the coat is now stuck on both leaves. Also, the leaves have shades of green and yellow. #13 germinated okay, but only has one embryonic leaf.

6/24/08- First of all I have to say that the heat wave is over. All of the plants survived a max temperature of 106F (according to my garden’s thermometer) in full sun. Yes, heat tolerant indeed.

Another surprise today! Recall that plant #11 was a surprise germination. I don’t think I elaborated much on that or I was a bit ambiguous, so I’ll reiterate about the surprise germination here. Some of you may remember that since I began this “project”, I used different sized pots especially for germinating the seed. Some were small and the others were quite large. The larger pots had enough space and allowed me to sow three seeds in each of these pots. Well plant #6 germinated in one of these pots that contained two additional seeds at the time it germinated. When I moved #6 into the ground, in went the two additional seeds with it. Later, plant #11 germinated in the ground right next to #6, obviously being one of those two “forgotten” seed. I decided to up root #11 and move it a couple of inches away from #6.

Well, today I had that third (last) forgotten seed germinate right next to #6. This one will be plant #14. However I did not move this one away from #6. I just left it there. Now, there are several plants that are semi-clumped together towards the front of the patch. So much for my 2 to 3 feet apart rule… I guess I will grow them and if it gets too crowded, I’ll just pull the small, weaker looking ones out. Yes, yes let us all play natural selection.

No more flowers have appeared yet, but I am desperately waiting for them…

6/26/08- I know keeping up with all the plant numbers is getting a bit hectic, so I made this table and illustration to provide all the details and locations. Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Not drawn to scale:

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That's some good tracking data. I'm impressed. Congratulations on your success.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joel, you oughta work in a lab!

For the record, two Ibicellas died and two Proboscidaes sprang up. Still can't get a Martynia to do anything! I must needs procure a trowel for transplanting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

Jim, your plants should be on a roll with leaf production now. Hopefully the temperatures in the higher latitudes have gotten warmer. As always, good luck!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast