Is 6" not enough depth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Is 6" not enough depth?
    I would go deeper.

7/10/08- Today, temperatures dropped. With this drop came high winds and monsoonal moisture. The winds were tough. Luckily the plants held up well. Some of them did get pushed over and ended up leaning over on account of their massive size.

7/11/08- Plant #4 is now growing its first claw. I guess my hand pollination attempts are working. Multiple flowers are in bloom today, and again I continue to pollinate. Plant #6 is getting quite big now, looking as bulky as the adults. I don't know what's wrong with plant #5. It seems to continue is growth lag. The younger ones are catching up to #5 and soon will be bigger.

7/12/08- More winds today! The plants are taking it okay, but they are staring to tilt as the wind hits them. I added some more soil to the patch, putting emphasis on and around the main stems of the plants in hopes of providing more support.

The claw on plant #1 is now a couple of inches long. Its stem is pretty long, and therefore the claw is very close to the ground. Hopefully, it won't grow to the point where it comes in contact with it. I am afraid it may rot if provided with prolong contact with the wet soil.

I found a caterpillar on the younger plants that are located in the patch. They are also beginning to show damage. Unfortunately, I will not be able to provide the second systemic insecticide treatment as planned because we are expecting monsoonal thunderstorms all throughout tomorrow and into Monday morning. So it will have to wait until Monday night.

One last observation: I have noticed that plant #1's flowers are darker than the other plant's flowers. This is especially true in the two top petals. They are coming up very dark pink and almost maroon in color, and with that yellow nectar trail they are total beauts!

7/13/08- Plant #2 is now growing its first claw. Nothing else to report.

7/14/08- I treated the plants with a second application of insecticide. This time I treated all the plants in the patch. The smaller ones had a couple of caterpillars, while the larger ones looked fine. Remember that I treated the larger ones a couple of days earlier, so they are probably still resistant to attack. For any of you that might do this, I highly suggest one of those hand pump sprayers. My hand got tired using the spray bottle on all of the plants.
    -Joel from Southern California

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple days ago, in a D. palaceae pot, a Devil's Claw seedling emerged. How a seed got there in the first place is beyond me! I transplanted it out back. It already had a root system that was ~2" long!

One of the Claw seedlings in the planter looks to be forming a flower in the crown, as opposed to just a mass of leaves. Seems strange that a 6" tall plant that did get its start outside would be doing that now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess what!? That flower bud opened up. It is pinkish purple and as soon as I can convince a co-worker to lend me a camera...

Two other plants are also showing a bud. They are small plants, totally grown outside, in direct sunlight. Should I cut off the first flower?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear you finally have some flowers! Why do you want to cut off the first one? Here is what I wrote in another topic regarding fruiting in small plants:

Quote Originally Posted by joossa View Post
    I have read that it is recommended to cut off early flowers (or at least after they bloom) because of incidents where the fruit becomes too heavy and brings down and snaps the young plant's stem. Once the plant has grown more, letting flowers go on to fruiting won't make it too top-heavy.
    It's more of a personal choice as you will have to deal with some risk. Since you are still growing yours in a planter I would go for it. Your plants may not get the chance to get uber-big...

I have a similar situation with one of my pants. I will write about it in my next entry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7/19/08- Today, plant #6 flowered for the first time. Two flowers popped up at the same time on this plant, in fact. Last week's insecticide treatment went well. No plants showed signs of damage (from the treatment) and the smaller ones are no longer hosting caterpillars.

7/20/08- This past week has been a week of multiples. Multiple meristems, multiple leaves, multiple flowers, and multiple claws. I must say the claws are larger than I expected them to be. I have about 5 mature-looking fruit on plants 1, 2, and 4 in addtion to the ones that are coming up. The fruit are extremely sticky. I'm talking slug-mucus sticky. If touched, the slime will stick everywhere, hands, tools, hose, clothes. And boy does the slime sink like @#$%! Now, I'm not a man that curses very often, but the crap is 100% foul and macabre to the olfactory. None of the fruit have begun to loose their fleshy green portion or split open.

I continue to pollinate an average of 5 to 8 flowers per day as the larger plants keep sending them up. Now, I can say with much more confidence that the flowers stay in bloom for only 24 to 48 hours. This should be applied with the fact that they are pollinated within that time frame. Once the flower has fallen off or shriveled up (which they sometimes do instead of falling off), the fruit will begin to appear as soon as 48 to 72 hours later.

All of the plants continue to be sticky, but unfortunately I have not seen their pseudo-carnivorous attributes in action. The only thing I have seen get stuck on the plants is the air borne seed of other plants, like those of dandelions, nothing else.

I want to mention plant #10 for those of you that are interested in reading about keeping these plants in pots. #10 is in a rather small pot. The pot is approximately 4 inches across and 5 inches in height. Soon, I will move it to a slightly bigger pot and plan to keep it in there until the season ends. Plant #10 is considerably small when compared to other plants that are in the ground AND share a similar germination date. Lets look at plant #11, for example. Both 10 and 11 germinated on the same day, but 10 germinated in its pot and (if you recall) 11 germinated in the ground. 10 is still inside its pot and 11 is still growing in the ground. If we compare both plants (as of today), number 11 is MUCH bigger than number 10. It has grown more leaves, has a huge, thick stem, and has several meristems. This might indicate (like with other plants) that if one limits the space they have to grow, the individual plant may be small in comparison to plants that are given the required or unlimited space to grow. Although it's small, plant #10 is now showing a flower cluster at its only meristem, showing that although it is not as big as its siblings it will flower. In the future, I will mention this plant again and report how many times it flowered and produced fruit compared to the plants that are in the ground.

7/21/08- I finally got an opportunity to take some pictures. I used white paper in some of the pictures in order to make the claws easier to see (more distinct).

Some flowers on plant #4:

The entire patch (front view):

The patch (side view):

Lucy VS. The Devil's Claws:

Claws and flowers at different stages (on plant #4). From left to right you can see an unopened flower on the far left, the bare style + stigma after the its flower fell off, a shriveled, spent flower (blurry), a baby claw, another shriveled flower with claw emerging, a near-mature claw underneath, and a developing claw on the right.:

The first claw (on plant #1). This is my biggest one. Also note the early caterpillar damage on the leaves(bottom right).:

Plant #10 (note its flower bud). Also plants 13 and 14 in their pots.:

More claws and flowers on plant #2:

Enjoy!

7/22/08- Plant #10 has now flowered, and I went ahead and I pollinated it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have anything remotely resembling the 'patch'. What I have is just like #10. A second flower bud is emerging from the one plant while other plants are budding. I hope to procure a camera today. Aren't my plants a little too young or too small to flower? I think they're all junior high age...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't ya know it... the day after taking the pictures... and returning the camera... it blooms!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast