Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: P. parviflora journal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Looking great, Jim! (Lovely Sarrs, BTW!)

7/24/08- Just a couple of observations on the fruit. I hesitate to call them claws yet because they have not split, showing their "claw" characteristic. At first, the fruit emerge and are rather straight. Then as the portion containing the seed capsule gets bigger, the claw portion bends and forms an almost 90 degree angle with the seed capsule portion. As the whole thing grows (about 15 days after the fruit emerges) the entire fruit finally curves and gets the signature look.

This is all BEFORE the fruit ripens and begins to split. The proper term for this to dehisce, which refers to ripe fruit splitting/opening in order to release seed. Wikipedia has a great picture of Martynia annua (a close relative of Proboscidea) fruit dehiscing. The fruit pictured are much smaller than the fruit of Proboscidea or Ibicella, but they do split to some extent. Here is the link to picture:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Martynia_annua_MS4207.JPG

My biggest claw is about 9 inches long and it took a little over three weeks for it to reach this length.

Lastly, plant #13 is now dead. It was a very slow grower and it wasn't doing so well.

7/25/08- #10 got its first fruit today. #11 is now in bloom for the first time. I moved plant #10 from its small pot to a slightly bigger pot. I will leave it here until the season ends. Lastly, I added more slow release fertilizer to the patch, especially towards the front where the younger plants are located.

7/31/08- As of today, all of my plants have bloomed at least once and have at least one fruit, except for plant #12. Like #13, #12 is a slow grower and doesn't look so good.

I updated that pesky data table. I tried my best to acquire accurate measurements and counts. Since the patch is so big, leaves from different plants are overlapping each other, some plants are literally overtaking others, and some fruit seem to be hidden away in the mini jungle. Because of all this, I found it difficult to get some counts and measurements, so some of the data entries will be approximations.
    Because of the reasons stated above, I also decided to throw out the "Number of Leaves" and "Longest Leaf" data columns. Working to see which leaf belongs to which plant is a daunting task. If you want to see data on either of these two features, please see the previous data table from entry 7/9/08.

Please click on the thumbnail below to see the table:
    -Joel from Southern California

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long from flower to claw?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under my conditions the fruit begins to emerge anywhere from 3 to 5 days after the flower has shriveled and/or fallen off. It takes up to two weeks for the fruit to get to a good size, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The oldest fruit is now about an inch long and shaped like a gourd. Will I need to prop it up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Probably not.

8/4/08- I found more caterpillars today. So, I prepared some more systemic insecticide and sprayed away.

The summer days are flying by. The plants are getting bigger and bigger each day. I had to remove one of the fence boarders from the patch because the plants were pushing up against it and some of the foliage was getting squished and damaged. I am using three fence segments around the perimeter of the patch to keep my little dog out. Heavens knows what she'll do if she manages to get in there. If you look at the picture of the patch from the previous entry, I removed only the right fence piece. This piece was not essential in keeping my dog out. The other two pieces are adjacent to the yard, whereas the piece I removed is adjacent to the side of my house where my dog never has access to.

8/10/08- Hmmm... same old, same old. More flowers and claws. None of the fruit have split yet.

8/15/08- ^Ditto.

I think I am going to stop watering daily and only water every other day from now on.

8/17/08- Hmmm... the watering every other day didn't go so well. The day I after I began the new watering pattern, the leaves lost their turgidity and became floppy. So, I am sticking to the daily watering routine at least until the summer is over.

I also treated the plants with another round of insecticide as more caterpillars keep popping up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got 2 gourd-like fruits developing with more flowers blooming. The Ibicella lutea puts out more flowers than the P. parviflora.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8/23/08- Mantid season has begun for me, and between that and my other hobbies, my job, and school just around the corner I have had limited time to post over the last couple of days.

We have had cooler weather and heavy winds. The winds managed to do some minimal damage to the plants. First, one of the major stems from plant #2 was bent dramatically. It was pushed over by the wind and ended up leaning on the rest of itself. This was a couple days ago.

Today, the largest stem on plant #1 that was at least 3.5 feet tall bent over as well. This stem was huge and had multiple claws, flowers, and leaves on it. With the high winds, I knew it was just a matter of time. The entire thing fell over and ended up situated down the middle of the entire patch. The good thing is that none of the stems actually snapped and none of the fruit were damaged.

Again I want to mention plant #10. This is the plant that I left in the pot. To put it simply, it's not doing so well. I don't know if I am over watering it or if it's another factor(s). The plant has no foliage and its one fruit is still quite small and yellowish. I am worried that it will soon croak.

8/25/08- Finally! After a very long wait, my first fruit is now ripe and dehiscing. This fruit is the very first one that ever appeared this season and is located on plant #1. It is not as big as the ones that were later produced, but it's still pretty good sized.

A couple of days ago the fruit began to darken in color and the tissue on the curved portion began to get skinny. Today I found that the fruit is now splitting. There was a split in the fleshy tissue of the seed pod portion and another little one in the "claw" portion. As a result, the hard, dark seedpod is now partially visible. I am planning to leave the fruit attached to the plant until the fleshy fruit tissue is completely gone. Once that occurs I will harvest it.

*Hums the Final Fantasy battle victory theme song.*

Thanks for reading.

-Joel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long does it take for the fruit to fully develop? Will it be done before the snow flies?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast