What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yey, my first claw!

Is it normal for a claw to flower when its this small? Its about 10"-12" tall.
IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Congrats on the new Devil's claw!

dang! Mine are around 8"-10" and are just flowering. What genus does that belong to? How long did it take to reach that length from the flowers?

Very nice!

It is Proboscidea parviflora. It took about 2-3 weeks from flowering. It took a while to look like a claw, but it will speed up in growth after the first 2". I got the seeds from allegedhuman. I hope to get more than ine claw this season.

Ooo... somehow I managed to skip over this topic. How is the plant and claw doing?
I have read that it is recommended to cut off early flowers (or at least after they bloom) because of incidents where the fruit becomes too heavy and brings down and snaps the young plant's stem. Once the plant has grown more, letting flowers go on to fruiting won't make it too top-heavy.

If you don't mind me asking, did you hand pollinate it yourself?

That's inspiring! I'm really looking forward to those seeds from the giveaway!

are you by any chance selling the seeds?

I've only got few inch seedlings. Gives me something to look forward to!

I want one!

I can see it's covered with bugs.

I read somewhere that the Devil's Claw was able to secrete digestive enzymes. Is this true?

In answer to the original question, yes they can:

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Next year the seeds go directly into the ground, in various locations, as well as 5 gallon buckets!

Back