What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's Claw Picture Thread 2009

Here are some more…

This fruit is from a plant that is growing in a 6in pot. Note how it’s stubby and how it’s distal end is blunt and not very long compared to the fruit’s body.

P6300063.jpg

This fruit is from a plant that is growing in the ground. Note how the distal end of this one is much pointier and has a more pronounced curve when compared to the one above. Also the “claw” portion is a bit longer than the fruit body. This fruit will eventually develop into a large, well formed claw, while the claw above will stay small and will look stubby and abnormal.

P6300067.jpg

Here are some of my plants:

P7090060.jpg

P7090074.jpg

Thanks for the seeds Joosa!

I soaked 'em like 5 days, split the seed-shell and planted/sowed them on Sunday the 5th and placed the pots under my T5 lights where it is quite warm.

I checked on them on Wednesday the 8th and wouldn't ya know it? All ten seeds that I sowed had sprouted and were about 1¼" in height!!

Wow!! I've never seen any seed sprout like that before! This is quite the aggressive plant. It wants to live. ;)

How long should one wait to plant them outdoors?? Or rather, how large should they be to successfully survive the indoor/outdoor transplant?? thanks,

How long should one wait to plant them outdoors?? Or rather, how large should they be to successfully survive the indoor/outdoor transplant?? thanks,

They are very tough and can handle transplants at a very young age without any problems. I suggest moving them ASAP. If you leave them in the small seedling pots, their roots will become restricted and the plants may become stunted, similar to what happens with sunflower plants in small pots.

Just remove them out of their pots taking the entire soil "plug" with them. Then place into the ground or into large pots, adding soil around them. Like this:
http://www.hydrohobby.co.uk/images/product/jiffysoil.jpg

I left them in a small pot and mine got stunted. I need to put them in the ground. Here is my first flower.
IMG_0377.jpg

Here is my largest proboscidea var. hohokamiana, believe i got them from jimmy thanks :)...

i believe i got my first flower bud!!!

Picture152.jpg

Picture153.jpg

sorry pic's kinda blurry

dustin

Here is my Devil Claws Plant.
DevilClaws3.jpg

Does it look like it has branched out? It looks like it to me.

Here is my Devil Claws Plant.
DevilClaws3.jpg

Does it look like it has branched out? It looks like it to me.

That's not a Devil's Claw.

Does it feel sticky and covered with tentacles?

I planted the White Seeded Devil Claws down there and It doesn't feel sticky to me.

Then you don't have any devils claws, the shape of the leaves are all wrong, and i don't think what you have will flower anytime soo. IMO thats not a devils claw.

Thanks and I really thought I had some Devil Claws here. :-( My soil is differnt here.

Winter Flurry, the the plant in the picture you posted looks similar to the plant on the post you made on 6/30/09. Again, it is not a devil's claw plant and probably some tree seedling or plant that sprouted from seed that was already in the soil before you even sowed your DC seed (like Jason said). The smaller ones in the photo also don't look like devil's claws plants either.

Again, I suggest looking at the first couple of pages of this thread so that you can get an idea of what young devil's claw plants look like.

Good luck!

They're doing fine in the ground:

Picture020-5.jpg

Picture021-7.jpg

Looking good, Jim! Nothing beats growing them in the ground. :)

I've got 3 in tall buckets, too. Gotta get a picture.

Here is picture that is similar to one I took last year and included in my growing journal.

P7290006.jpg

From the patch:

P7290010.jpg

P7290008.jpg

P7290009.jpg

These are in large pots:

P7290001.jpg

P7290004.jpg

Today a fruit from the plant I kept in the white 6in pot split open. It is very short and has miserable looking prongs:

P7290016.jpg

P7290019.jpg

P7290023.jpg

Whow, that's impressive. I think I see the beginnings of a flower bud emerging from one of the plants in the ground.

Here are the ones in the buckets:

Picture001-16.jpg

Picture002-11.jpg

Got a late start this year!

very nice plants everyone

joosa: how long were those growing for? a lot bigger than what i got, or is that just a ton of plants in one spot?

well out of the 5 plants i planted in the ground 4 of them made it and are now flowering and today i spotted a nice seed pod starting, these are proboscidea var. hohokamiana, i think they came from jimmy, thanks, think ill be growing these plants for years to come, im starting to like'em more :)

there are 4 of them in there they are just mixed in with weeds :p
Picture269.jpg

some flower pics
Picture267.jpg

Picture266.jpg

and the very first seed pod grown by me!!! :)
Picture268.jpg

dustin

Hey Dustin. I can’t see any of your photos.

I have a total of six plants in my patch. The ones in the back are a little bit older than the ones in the front. They all germinated around early May and were promptly moved into the ground shortly thereafter. I attribute their size to age, fertilization, and prime growing conditions.

Here is a picture of the patch with the same six plants not too long ago....

Can the Devil's Claw be reproduced through leaf cuttings? Has anyone tried that yet?

Back