What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's Claw Picture Thread 2009

Thanks and the Devil Claws I planted down at my sister's house had the purple undersides. Just a update.

Thanks and the Devil Claws I planted down at my sister's house had the purple undersides. Just a update.

Where'd you get the seeds? Are you sure they weren't oak seeds or something?

Jason

They came from Arizona in a Devil Claws seedpod. Should I put up a picture of the seed pod they came out of?

They came from Arizona in a Devil Claws seedpod. Should I put up a picture of the seed pod they came out of?

Yeah, for sure, and if you have photos of the seeds themselves, that'd be great too. I'm rather confused at the moment.

Jason

Here is a picture of the seed pod:
DevilsClaw.jpg

Here is a picture of the seeds:
Seeds.jpg

I hope this helps to identify those seedlings and there was nothing planted there but only the Devil Claws seeds.

Well, I'll give you this: you weren't lying that they were devil's claw pods and seeds.

I'm guessing that whatever it is you're growing, it's a common weed in your area, which is why your sister got them too. I'd recommend checking elsewhere in the garden for more of those plants where you didn't plant the claws. Perhaps the mix you used was contaminated with those seeds.

Jason

I haverested the seeds from the Devil Claws seedpods and planted them. i made sure there was nothing there after I cleared out a spot for them. I planted them directly into the ground and I gave my sister some of the Devil Claws seeds also. Could this be a new kind of Devil Claws that is a Hybird? That could be a possibility.

I haverested the seeds from the Devil Claws seedpods and planted them. i made sure there was nothing there after I cleared out a spot for them. I planted them directly into the ground and I gave my sister some of the Devil Claws seeds also. Could this be a new kind of Devil Claws that is a Hybird? That could be a possibility.

Is it at all sticky? Does it have dew tipped hairs anywhere on it?

Jason

Not that I can see today. When are they supposed to get sticky and Dew Tipped Hairs on them? I will check when I go back down there.

Not that I can see today. When are they supposed to get sticky and Dew Tipped Hairs on them? I will check when I go back down there.

They sprout like that. The whole plant is covered in horribly sticky hairs its whole life. What you have there is a weedy tree. Its seeds were probably in the ground long before you planted the devil's claw seeds and when you started to water the area, they sprouted. I'm not sure what kind of tree it is, but I am 100% positive it's not a devil's claw.

Jason

Its suppose to have it when it germinates, almost instantly i saw dew, and tipped hair.

My dad used to have Squash down there. What should I do with the sprout that I showed you? Thanks.

Thanks and I will pull it up roots and all to take to my local Extenstion Service to see what kind of tree it is.

I completely agree with what Jason said. Look at page one of this thread to see what newly germinated seed look like. SirKristoff and I have some pictures there... I am sure there are others in this thread too. Generally, all devil's claw seedlings (be it Proboscidea or Ibicella) will look like that upon germination.

By the way, is anyone here growing Martynia annua?

you saw it here first peeps:

Proboscidea parvifolia v. hokomiana in a can!

DSCN0652.jpg

Its a monster! :-))

Here is my Devil Claws Seedling.
DevilClaws2.jpg

About that first picture I did plant the Black Seeded Devil Claws with the White Seeded and I think those are my Black Seeded Devil Claw seedlings.

Is it the one in the mud? Or is it the big plant?

It's both of them that is Devil Claw Seedlings.

Picture024-1.jpg

Back