What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's Claw Picture Thread 2009

Sorry about that, i was updating my photobucket account and re-organizing all the pics...which then proceeded to make all the pics i posted anywhere not viewable, so i had to repost it with their new codes...there they are, not the best close ups on the flowers though.

im not sure on that wolfn, this is my first year growing them im just surprised i was able to get a seed pod to form, i pollinated it with a piece of grass lol

dustin

leaf cuttings would be very interesting indeed. I think ill try it. :)

Cuttings are thoroughly possible though, and they root easily enough to just place them in water and wait i.e. hosta, figs, etc...

what about root pullings? :D

As I was leaving work today I gave a quick look at my devil claw plants. Talk about, "here today and gone tomorrow"... they were gone. I'm guessing that complex had landscapers do some weeding and they were pulled. The ones along the treeline never really got going and the ones in the seep never germinated. All I have left are the 3 in the pots on the porch.

Here is my true Devil Claws Seedlings and they must have came up the other day.
DevilClawSeedlings.jpg

I have 3 seedlings here.

^Now you've got it! That's a devil's claw seedling alright...

Good luck! :)

Thanks and I thought I couldn't grow them here.

Couldn't resist posting these:

P8070018.jpg

P8070019.jpg

About the leaf/steam cuttings.... I'm still a little doubtful. Today, I had to trim off a huge portion of a plant that was blocking my standing area that I use while hand pollinating and watering. I took the portion I cut off and immediately placed it in water and full shade. Less than an hour later the leaves had a major loss in turgidity.

Maybe placing them in a higher humidity environment would work?

The mother plant, note where I cut off the plant cutting:

P8080031.jpg

As you can see, the portion I cut off was a good size:

P8080029.jpg

Close up of the cut (on the portion that was removed from the mother plant):

P8080028.jpg

Here is the cut portion one hour after I cut it off. It was placed in water immediately after the cut. The leaves are beginning to droop and sag:

P8080024.jpg

wow thats a lot of flowers lol, good luck with the cutting

also when do i harvest the seed pod? its rapidly growing from the little 3-4in pod is now 5-7in i think, getting big, ive never grown them before, but im guessing when the pod splits open and turns brown or something like that. from personal experience can anyone tell me how long it takes for the pod to completely ripen?

thanks
dustin

The cutting didn't make it... It completely wilted overnight. :oops:

I always harvest when the skin of the fruit begins to brown and split. I then let it completely dehisce indoors on a flat surface at room temperature. The skin will split in several pieces and become dry and brittle while the claw inside opens up.

From the data I collected last year, I found that it took around 50 days for a fruit to completely ripen and begin to dehisce. This data was from plants that were grown in the ground and not in containers/pots.

wow this thread has really taken off! ive been watching it ever since it was started and i have to say that there are alot of people growing devil's claw. joossa you have some good sized ones but dont you get tired of the smell, every time i drive by some i feel sick but they are very awesome plants. we have so many here they are considered a noxious weed.
thanks
adam

I have a bud on one of the plants in the buckets. Next week it should be flowering.

wow this thread has really taken off! ive been watching it ever since it was started and i have to say that there are alot of people growing devil's claw. joossa you have some good sized ones but dont you get tired of the smell, every time i drive by some i feel sick but they are very awesome plants. we have so many here they are considered a noxious weed.
thanks
adam

Yes, the smell is pretty bad, especially this time of the year. The mucilage is worse though. It's like industrial glue... soap and water doesn't help at all.

Anyone think they can give an estimate on this seed pod ripening?

pictures008.jpg

just about 5-6in long now, 2-3 in wide, getting big :)

dustin

It could be soon that seed pod ripening but I'm not sure. Should I move Seedling #2 from the pure garden soil into the Potting Soil and Perlite mixure in the garden here because it looks like the pure garden soil has compacted around it? Just curious and here is a updated picture of Seedling #2.
DevilClawSeedlings-1.jpg

my parviflora hohos came up within two days of a one day soak! i call them personally Santa Claws Because of the Hoho in it:-D

This is it for now:

Picture001-22.jpg

I got my first Flower on Devil Claws Plant #1 here and here is what it looks like:
DevilClawsPlant.jpg

Will the flower grow more or stay the same size? Just curious.

The flower will stay the same size. It will remain in bloom for a couple of days. The flower tends to fall off soon after its been pollinated.

I also see that your plant now has two meristems. So, you can expect the main stem to branch into two and an increase in growth soon (as long as conditions are ideal).

Thanks and that was such a nice surprise to see a bloom becuase I have only seen pictures of it until today. When should I expect that? Just curious and here is pictures of Devil Claws Plant #2 with flower buds and the second one is a top view.
DevilClawsPlant2.jpg

DevilClawsPlant3.jpg

Would the rain knock off Devil Claw Flowers? I have noticed that the flower is laying on the ground here today.

Here are some current pictures:

P8270013.jpg

P8270012.jpg

P8270015.jpg

P8270010.jpg

P8270024.jpg

P8300012.jpg

P8300014.jpg

P8300015.jpg

Back