What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil's Claw Picture Thread 2009

joossa

Aklys
Alright I'm starting up a photo thread. I (and I am sure others) want to see your devil's claws as they grow up into demonic beasts this growing seson. I am especially interested in seeing pictures of Martynia annua. Post away!!!

I'll start with some of mine:

Two day water soak:
P5030001.jpg

P5030004.jpg

P5030002.jpg

Half the seed coat removed:
P5050013.jpg

Germination (from an earlier batch):
P5010043.jpg

P5010042.jpg

All here are P. parviflora var hohokamiana:
P5060022.jpg

P5060017.jpg

P5060023.jpg

I. lutea pictures coming soon (if my seed was viable...).

I have P. parviflora var hohokamiana but is it nessecary to soak em? and then cut the skin off? :3 Is it the only way they'll germ. cause i just put them on soil and their in my rack atm. should i put em in wateR?

is it nessecary to soak em? and then cut the skin off? :3 Is it the only way they'll germ. cause i just put them on soil and their in my rack atm. should i put em in wateR?

No you don't have to... I do all that because that is what works best for me (I like to think it maximizes germination). Straight sowing is fine too, just keep them wet and hot.

mk. lowland rack :3 but the person i got them from said to grow it as a garden plant o.o

Uhm, can these take fertilization? Like miracle-gro garden soil?

LOL! My seeds are in here. I tossed them in a couple weeks ago. I also reserved a few for the tallest of minibog buckets, as backups.

Picture014-2.jpg

my first one got destroyed by a bird LOL....
these are the 3 current ones going. ive got more seed to try later on in the garden once it warms up some more...
so far these guys have endured hail, a ton of rain, a couple of light freezes.....

5-8-09007.jpg

Seedlings are growing! No Ibicella yet...

P5120022.jpg

Pseudo-Carnivore!

P5120021.jpg

Can I assume that you will be repotting the plants into something deeper. later on? Still no germination for me.

Can I assume that you will be repotting the plants into something deeper. later on? Still no germination for me.

I will be putting the better, more vigorous ones in the ground soon. I also have some large terracotta pots available and will be testing out how they do in there.

My largest devils claw on 5/12
IMG_6142.jpg

And today, 5/17
IMG_6153.jpg

Sorry for the terrible photos...my camera is getting old. T_T

aww ill take my pic tomorrow :D

Very nice, Chunkyhunks... what species/variety is it? :)

Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana
The things are growing just as fast if not faster than my sunflowers...

I placed two seedlings into large terracotta pots:

P5220031.jpg

Six plants went into the patch (directly into the ground):

P5220024.jpg

This one is growing a flower bud!

P5220026.jpg

I made a little side by side comparison of the patch's condition from today and from last year in August just to show how big the plants get. The seedlings from today's picture are too small and hard to see, so I circled them in yellow:

2585.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

Their still small, i have nowhere else to put em.

Some of mine are beginning to hit the point where growth begins to accelerate dramatically and the plants take off without looking back...

P6010021.jpg

P6010015.jpg

P6010016.jpg

First flowers:

P6080045.jpg

P6110053.jpg

P6110055.jpg

Congratulations! Mine started flowering too, just need to get time to post pics!

Happy growing!
Aslan

Mines flowering as well but its way smaller than yours.

Back