Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Read that teasel is carnivorous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    obregon, I'm pretty sure Stylidium & S. Purpurea have documented enzymes, but you get the point across. If someone was that strict to exclude DARLINGTONIA.....
    awgaupp, if you have them in the back yard, wouldn't they do just as well there? When fellow CPers come over, you say, "Guess what?!?! I found out I have native CPs in my yard!" They'll turn green or think you're oulling their leg!
    Teasels are semi-pitfalls, are they not? So technically, they're more advanced carnivores than Ibicella or Roridula! And the guts of the victimized bugs that drown stay in the pitfall, so they must go somewhere? But the downfall is that we'd have to include potatoes and all sticky plants if we included ALL plants that profited from bugs dying on them/close to them! That would number in the THOUSANDS, and I don't want ANYONE to add more CPs to the list until I catch up! Okay, untill I own a good part of them. The person who proved Stylidiums are carnivorous just made it at leat 900 species ALONE, not including at leat 3-400 hybrids & cultivars. My $0.02

Happy Growing!

Aslan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered some mushroom starts (stropharia mycelium). Apparently they trap and digest nematodes. Its a CF. Carnivorous fungi!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cp-connection View Post
    I just ordered some mushroom starts (stropharia mycelium). Apparently they trap and digest nematodes. Its a CF. Carnivorous fungi!
    It's quite an impressive fungus... It develops loops and once the nematodes pass through it squeezes them. I'd never heard of such a thing until my botany class last year. Check out some of the microscopic shots: http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images...ode-fungus.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teasel collects water and animals drown in it at a higher rate than in normal water, and the plants' seeds are heavier after the plant benefits from the nutrients. Would teasel be killing insects for protection, with nutrients being absorbed as a coincidence? Unless there are enzymes, a means of attracting the animals, or it can be shown that the plant encourages digestive bacterial growth more than normal, then it remains in the uncertain quasi-carnivorous plant category.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12