Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stylidium debile pollination? how to get seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope the flowers are super tiny rofl xD mine is in constant flower, and i have no idea, nor desire to get seeds from em so i am of no use to really help you with this, my guess is you would need a verrrryyyy tiny sewing pin or something of the sort to actually reach the inside of the flower anyway, these plants reproduce like crazy through roots so, unless your trying to get seed out to other people, i dont see any reason to try and get seed from em xD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there is some academic literature out there that describes the barriers to self-fertilization in Stylidium. Ah yes, here it is:

Burbidge, AH, and SH James. 1991. Postzygotic Seed Abortion in the Genetic System of Stylidium (Angiospermae: Stylidiaceae). Journal of Heredity 82(4): 319-328.

It appears that in most triggerplants, there are factors that prevent maturation of seed if the plants are self-fertilized. As far as I know, there is only one clone of S. debile in cultivation, so even if you fertilized across different plants of the same clone, you wouldn't get much (if any) seed set. You can always try ordering seed of other species and raising different clones to do breeding experiments.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately, they spread like a utric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an older thread / But hey just thought I'd put my 2 cents in anways

I'm NO expert on Trigger Plants
    Have only been growing 2 for about 5 months now
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...79187779xMxJip

But from my understanding the flowers all start off as males & after so many "Snaps" of the trigger they turn to female flowers
    {If I can remember where I read that I'll post it}
    So you would have to get the pollen from new flowers then store it till they turn to female flowers
    Or
    Maybe you can take pollen from the newer flowers at the top of the stalk & use it to pollinate the older flowers on the bottom of the stalk???
    Last edited by DETHCHEEZ; 04-18-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did eventually get the plant to flower:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to butt in with this information on such an old post, but I was able to get viable seeds from Stylidium debile (at least seeds probably mixed with a little detritus) in this manner: I grew my S. debile outside during the summer in a sunny spot, where it flowered profusely, and I noticed that the flowers were frequently visited by those little "sweat bees" (it was entertaining watching them feed from the flowers and get constantly accosted by the columns). After all the flowers were spent, I sheared back all of the stalks and put them in an open Ziploc bag to dry further. After the stalks were completely dried, I massaged the stalks through the bag to release any seeds they possibly contained, disposed of the flower stalks, and kept the resulting powdery remains in the bottom of the bag. I tried surface sowing some of this powder (no smoke treatment given), and obtained S. debile seedlings in this manner (that's where my current batch of S. debile came from - the old colony, which provided the seeds, dried out and died a couple of years ago). I also noticed, while growing the old colony outdoors, that a seedling of S. debile popped up in an adjacent pot in a separate water tray. They'll definitely produce viable seeds without being crossed with an unrelated clone. I wanted to share this because Paul Riddell (of Texas Triffid Ranch) once told me (via email) that I should inform other triggerplant enthusiasts of this, because he was likewise under the assumption that S. debile would not produce viable seed without being outcrossed with a different genetic clone. In conclusion: Put 'em outside, let the sweat bees sex 'em up, save the chaff, then sow that ****nit. :P

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123