What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question

I plowed the garden here to plant my Devil Claws. Will I still need to put Perlite down in the rows or not? Just asking and I have a row for my White Seeded Devil Claws and a row for the Black seeded Devil Claws.

Don't you think that would depend on the consistency of the soil you have?

How would we know what the soil you are planting in is like,
and be able to advise you,
without other information or pictures or something to go on?

Here is a picture of my soil in the garden here.
Soil.jpg

Does this help?

Last edited:
Well,
it is hard to tell from the pic, but if the soil is compact and hard, it needs something to loosen it up, like a stiff drink... or perhaps sand/peat/perlite or compost/organic material. Clay soils need sand, and sandy soils need clay! All soils can use good organic material, as it is used up in time and needs to be replenished. (Hence why farmers till in their crops.)
Soil should hold water AND yet be "light and airy", and drain well.

If you are uncertain, take a jar 1/2 full of soil, fill it with water, put the lid on and shake it up real well. Then let it settle and it should settle in layers. The smallest clay particles will usually separate from the larger sand, and the organic material also. This will give you a rough profile of what is in your soil.

Another easy thing to do, is to shove a shovel into it. If compact and hard, it is usually an indication of a lot of clay. (Sandy soils won't compact the same way.) Again, you can't go wrong adding more organic material.

If your soil grows normal garden plants well, it should work for Devil Claws.

That's about all I can suggest. I am sure there are others with more thoughts and suggestions concerning this.

Good luck.

Last year the soil really compacted because I didn't plow it I dug it up when I planted my Devil Claws and I think I will put Perlite in this year to make sure it won't compact. The dirt is so soft when I plowed it up. Does tilled soil compact as much as untilled soil? Thank you and the blades dug in deep. I'm sure it does have clay in it because the blades couldn't dig into it. I hope that helps.

Tilling soil breaks it up. In time it will simply compact again.
It would be wise to go ahead and add the perlite, and if you have
any other amendments like peat moss, vermiculite, compost, etc.
would certainly help also.

Organic material (compost/peat, etc.) is usually depleted in most soils, and
is always a welcome addition to helping your soil out. Your plants will benefit
in the long run, and it is worth the cost and work.
Remember to fertilize your plants regularly, AFTER the first couple sets of leaves appear.

Good luck,
and post some pics when they are lookin' good!

Take care!

I have leaves that has fallen last fall and I guess you can consider that organic. I will have to get another bag of Perlite here.

omg, ive never seen such poor soil. it looks like cement :0o:

It has some clay in it. It has been plowed a few times and I need to do something to help the soil. Will Perlite break down over time or not? Just wondering. Is it too early to Plant those Devil Claws here or should I wait until June here?

Back