What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Stylidium petiolare growers ?

From a europe nursery.

I got a LIL TINY 3 leaves plant from them. That was the original plant.

Funny how fast they grow.

In any case- appears to be a very fine choice in Stylidium :)

Interesting genus, I am very curious to see how its (proto)carnivorous plant status eventually gets resolved. Seems like there are loyalists on both sides of the fence.

Its solved since 2009 :)

(...)Triggerplants are considered to be carnivorous because the glandular trichomes that cover the scape and flower can trap, kill, and digest small insects with protease enzymes produced by the plant."

Its a real carnivorous plant, like drosera or pinguicula, but very obscur. Some rare growers have this genus.

It will be very nice to see the carnivorous flowers in action!

:)

Its solved since 2009 :)

(...)Triggerplants are considered to be carnivorous because the glandular trichomes that cover the scape and flower can trap, kill, and digest small insects with protease enzymes produced by the plant."

Its a real carnivorous plant, like drosera or pinguicula, but very obscur. Some rare growers have this genus.

It will be very nice to see the carnivorous flowers in action!

That had been what I thought but I know some people that are still convinced that it is only proto-carnivorous. Not sure what the argument there is (perhaps they feel it has not been conclusively shown that said digestion actually provides nutrients and hence benefit to the plant?). Then again, we are really talking matters of definition.

I just looked at wikipedia. The article there seems to suggest that it is not clear whether the trichomes (even with the presence of protease enzymes) are there as a defense mechanism to protect the flower, or whether the plant is actually "eating" bugs. I have my own naive suspicions but am by no means an expert.

I have to admit I was thrilled when I found this forum but if you guys don't stop sharing pics of all these killer CP's I may have to leave :) My wife is going to put a halt to my plant purchases if I keep up at the pace I've been acquiring them lately. In all seriousness though, very cool and interesting plant, I may have to look into these in the very near future. Thanks for sharing.

Utri: (By the way, thanks for making me practicing my english hehe)

I understand what you said.

But the plant develop dew, insects stay stucked on the dew, a visible digestive enzyme pool apear like pinguicula, and 4-5 days after, you can see a little exo-skeletton remain on the plant. And the plant produce a tall flower hamp, almost 30-40cm.

So for me, its clearly carnivorous.

Of course the plant have dew on the flower stalk to protect the flower from walking insects, and maybe a nutrients boosts just before flowering, because the plant grow and develop faster when flowers are open.

But right now, we are in a grey zone, more evidences will be added in the next few years.

We are the first generation of growers who really care about this wonderfull (carnivorous?) plant :)

Last edited:
I have to admit I was thrilled when I found this forum but if you guys don't stop sharing pics of all these killer CP's I may have to leave :) My wife is going to put a halt to my plant purchases if I keep up at the pace I've been acquiring them lately. In all seriousness though, very cool and interesting plant, I may have to look into these in the very near future. Thanks for sharing.

The famous carnivorous flowers of stylidium !

8808313408_d8ec1c330a_b.jpg

8808311526_348accf3ca_b.jpg

8797736641_1732b7e48b_b.jpg

Even more of a beauty to see it flowering. I can't wait until I can get one.

Even more of a beauty to see it flowering. I can't wait until I can get one.

Thanks a lot for your kind words !

Here more pictures from this morning

8816495988_78b9ee85c6_b.jpg

8805912713_4cff9214d7_b.jpg

I tryed the trigger flower, and the flower snap my finger! Its amazing !

This plant is so strange!

Man those plants are so amazingly cool! Never seen them for sale anywhere...

Its not a popular specie for now.
But you can find it on internet.

Pm me for the exact url, i dont want to spam here.

a better picture

lots of flowers now.

8869327176_914cd3f9be_b.jpg

Big news, its not a petiolare LOL
Vendor made a error for sure. My plant is a Stylidium caespitosum.

Stylidium caespitosum

8903177217_11e51473a5_o.jpg

8903794858_10ebdf1c11_o.jpg

8903795408_0fee7133ea_o.jpg

:-D

Lol fred, once again, amazing pictures! And a big THANKS for identifying my stylidium !

Clearly a caespitosum ! :)

8954293256_dbd32136bc_b.jpg

The whole plants clump:

8954292122_19599712ca_b.jpg

:D

Nice pics of flowers! I wish more different sp.s were available in the US; all I've saw so far was debile and gramnifolium. Do they do the trigger reaction when touched like the others?

If you would like to try other species then seed is available on ebay australia. One seller also supplies smoked vermiculite to help with germination. Prices are pretty good.

Back