Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone investigated Nicotania?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone investigated Nicotania?

I was at someone's house a few days ago and noticed a large plant with flowers that looked nightshade related. I was told the plant is Nicotania. It had several large sticky leaves with a lot of fungus gnats stuck to them. The leaves were sticky but not mucilaginous like a sundew. Has anyone investigated Nicotania for insectivory or quasi-insectivory?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure, but that genus kills lots of bugs in more than one way. I grow N. sylvestris and have noticed insects stuck to the plants on occasion. But the nicotine the genus contains is a dandy insecticide.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 10-12-2015 at 03:34 PM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicotine is a paralytic poison to any animal with a muscle. And its addictive and stimulant properties, upon lacing nectar in nonlethal doses, enhance pollination dramatically. Along with caffeine, it's one of the most amazing secondary metabolites in the plant kingdom.

In many Solanaceae, not only do the plants dispense nicotine, but the trichomes release a powerful superglue. When broken, the liquid glue solidifies in contact with air. It's freaking amazing. Primarily protective in nature rather than carnivorous, but there's always the hope that evolution will take an even more sinister turn with that family.

The topic of plant defense absolutely fascinates me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds soOo cool ThePlantMan!
    This species sounds very interesting to study i have to look info on this species

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy a pack of 20 and investigate them one by one. Usually fire is involved
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I smoke so i kno this, but i mean a plant as a whole to study not the processed/dried and packaged with additives and other stuff like with ciggarettes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    You can buy a pack of 20 and investigate them one by one. Usually fire is involved
    Cigarettes: The Science Toy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow two types of tobacco they are very neat indeed.
    My sprouts are only a few weeks old.

They need to be sown on top of the soil they need light to sprout. Unfortunately with lower light this makes for very leggy plants Indoors but still nice to have. I've used my n. Rustica with a whopping 13%? Nicotine as bug spray. Bye bye ants and every other living organism that got hit with that spray rest in peice. I have tried smoking the n. Rustica it is very potent only a small pinch and I was "full" but still very nice to smoke through a pipe. Growing your own tobacco is very rewarding and much better then store bought tobacco with all those preservatives.

May I inquire as to if there will be seeds from this strain of tobacco? I may very well be interested in a new type of tobacco.
    Last edited by eithan0693; 10-15-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast