What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating roridula

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how long it takes for Roridula(both sp) to germinate?
Please post your experiences.

In March this year, I planted about 10 seeds of R. gorgonias and 3 of R. dentata. The seed was pre-treated with GA-3 and I burnt some dry grasses on the top of the soil.

After a month I had one R. gorgonias germinate, it's doing well, now about 5 inches tall. I have heard that they can take a long time to germinate though, seeds planted in Spring often germinate the following Fall, when cool night temperatures return after the heat of Summer.

This web page on Martin Reimer's web site, covers a great deal about the germination and cultivation of these two species, and is essential reading for anyone about to try growing these plants from seed. Roridula.

Vic

Martin mentions that these guys are easy to germinate under very bright light if the day temperature is hot and the night temperature is cool. I have some of these seeds outdoors under a couple hours of full sun. The temperature averages in the 30'sC and nights are ~18C. Maybe the temperatures are a little too high
confused.gif

I think that it also depends on the "quality" of the seeds.
One time I harvested lots of very small R. gorgonias seeds and none of them germinated.

I also recogniced some diffenence in R. dentata seeds from South Africa (silverhill seeds) and from Germany. The seeds from natural habitat have been twice as big !

Germination of both species can take a lot of time, I would wait at least for one year.

Martin

picture of my plants at the moment :

roridula.jpg

Hi Martin,

Did you sow the seeds on the surface of the medium or bury it? I wonder if the habitat of R.gorgonias or dentata dries out during the summer or remains wet.

Hi,

habitat of R. gorgonias (near Hermanus) stays mostly wet, habitat of R. dentata (around Clan William) is dry during summer.

I sow the seeds on the surface of the substrat with good contact to it, but do not bury them.

If you understand German (or have a translation tool) you can try out my article :
http://www.drosophyllum.com/Dateien/Roridula.pdf

Martin

Hi Martin,

I can't understand German and can't translate the article. I have been to your website a couple of times as it is the only website I have found with comprehensive information on Roridula.

Back