Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone growing Proboscidea  or Ibicella

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone growing Proboscidea or Ibicella, or know where I might come by some seed? I would like to try again this season to grow these plants, and welcome any cultural advice as to how to best germinate the seed (I have had no luck with this) and how best to grow the plants. I grew Ibicella once, and had no problem germinating the seeds, but that was before I heard how difficult they were to germinate. Since then, not a single seed has germinated for me.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin,

If you are looking for seeds let me know. I have plenty of Ibicella and 3 kinds of Proboscidea seeds. I get 100% germination of Ibicella with GA3 treatment. As for Proboscidea, just sow the seeds on a rich well-drained medium and cover with a bit of soil. Keep the seeds warm/hot and moist and they should sprout easily. The seeds of the Proboscidea cultivars lack the germination inhibitors. Grow these plants like watermelon: plenty of light, heat(at least during the day) and in large pots(or even better outdoors with unlimited root run). Fertilize regularly. It is best to try these outdoors when the weather is hot, as in the summer. Sadly, these plants are stickly for defensive purposes. My plants caught thousands of small flying insects and pests during the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I attempted to grow ibicella lutea from seed many times and not a single seed ever germinated . i plan on trying again this spring . where do you get GA3 from ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JL Hudson seeds carry GA3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin,
    I grew a white seeded type this summer and could provide seeds if you are interested. The seed company I bought them from no longer carries the variety, but I lost the name.

[img]http://home.**********.com/rubrarubra/images/DSC02194.JPG[/img]

And the seed company:

Native Seeds SEARCH

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops, sorry for the huge size [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

Edit: Ok, I fixed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I am growing I. lutea the fourth year now. I start it from seeds every year at the beginning of April. I place the pots with the seeds in my greenhouse. The germination rate is only about 30%. As this plants become really big, i only keep one for me. If they have germinated, they are easy plants. As soil, i use normal potting soil. I fertilise it regularly. One plant will set seeds. I don't know, if they need to be pollinated. I'm growing mine outside, not only because of the very bad smell. If they are in flower, i can see lots of bees and bumblebees, that obviously pollinate the flowers.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the replies! My Ibicella grew in a 30 gallon substrate terrarium back in 1975, but it remained small, although it did flower! From what I have seen and read this is very atypical. I am really looking forward to trying these species this season, probably in my garden since this seems to be the best method.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast