What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

icebella

Hi,
I got a couple icebella seed pods, they look really cool and are huge! Anyway, I read they are hard to sprout. Any tips or experience?  
smile.gif

-droseradude
thanks!  
smile.gif

There called Ibicella Lutea actually , i have never had success with sowing the seeds but several methods i heard of are soaking the seeds in a solution of superthrive for a day or pouring boiling water over them ( not soak them ) then sow them in a hot sunny place .
Good luck
smile.gif

How large are the pods and what color is the seed? Best method for germinating Ibicella seed is with GA3.

the pods are about 3 or 4 inches, the seed is white. (not including the (fishing hook looking things on the pod)

What you got there is Proboscidea(likely Paiute variety, if seeds are from LACPS meetings), not Ibicella. Ibicella seeds are black and contain germination inhibitors. The Proboscidea should be very easy to germinate as the seeds do not have germination inhibitors. I believe that is why the seeds are white.

droseradude, what you picked up at the lacps meeting is indeed the Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana 'Paiute'

Just sow them on regular potting soil, if kept warm, will sprout in about a week. The plant has a spread of about 3 ft, so make sure you plant this somewhere appropriate.

I had some of the probiscideas take a month to sprout, then it was too late in the season for them to mature, but one or two pods got dried out and if I remember rightly they had black seeds. The funny thing is I know I planted white seeds.
Peter

Maybe the white seeds were covered by black mold? These guys germinate quick, fastest I've got the to germinate was 3 days.

Back