What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we know damage of hurricane to cps

Hi:

I am just curious. Has anyone, anywhere, been able to comment on damages to wetlands in areas of hurricane damage?

I am curious as to whether we might have lost some endangered cps?
confused.gif

Maybe it is just too soon to know.

CM, it is too soon to know yet. CP30 might know, but he is off and on because of the hurricanes. CP30 is from Mississippi and can find out when he can be contacted. I have contatcted others, and we will know soon enough. Posting will be done on this forum, perhaps under the present thread if you don't mind, CM. Mike Howlett is our guy in Texas, so he will post too.

I wouldn't worry to much about cp's. They are well equiped to survive hurricanes.

If hurricanes could reduce development pressures along the Gulf coast, they'd do more to help CPs than anything else can.

I think hurricanes will stop development along the gulf coast about as much as earthquakes have stopped development in California.

I think you're right, unfortunately.

There is only one thing that will stop development, money. When there is no longer money to be made development will stop. Until then, nature is on the chopping block.

Most pitchers have finished by now, and leucophylla pitchers should be capable of bending. Some will be ruined, but that's life.
More importantly, all that rain is good news. In the early 2000's a lot of areas were suffering from drought. Sarras love water and can happily survive for weeks completely submerged.

Things are still quite choatic here in the gulf coast areas hit by Katrina and Rita.

Good news: 1) Sarrs and other cps that are indigenous to the area are, of course, used to weather like this and are far better equipped to survive intact than humans and our communities
2) most development is currently focused on rebuilding as opposed to expansion

Not so good news: devasted communities are having to build in areas they have not before. I imagine that many or the For Sale signs that Barry saw from Gulfport to Moss point are disappearing as people find new places to relocate their destoyed homes and lives.
I have not had time to drive over to see. It will be harder now to find the stands, and I only know of a few to look for.

Mike, and Steve,

If you need any assistance Give me a shout. I'm back in the game. Life was pretty hectic there for awhile, but I thinks it's about as under control as ever.

Back