Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cp site beaing developed

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH yeah, I had an idea that some may or may not agree with. So I would like some feedback.

We can offer to remove the plants, enter them into our plant banks, and when they are landscaping we can donate the plants back to them. They will be used them as landscaped plants. This will have there benefits. One, it'll give us some plants with location data. Two, it will educate the people that live there on the beauty, importance of cp's and the history of the site. Three, it'll keep the plant's on their original site.

What do you think about this idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good to me,

Good luck
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that idea Ozzy. Also, you could through in to your letter that they would be mentioned on our site for allowing us to save the plants, thus showing that they are an organization that cares about the future. Something mushy like that. I agree with you that developing the relationship with this group has to be a top goal. Good Luck.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a satelite pic of the site. Notice the round thing below the site. That is a Carolina Bay. They are indicators of cp's. There are many more Carolina Bays just south of where this pic ends. I have explored these bays and found vft's and D.capilaris and intermedia.
    By looking at this sat pic I believe there are more cp's (or was) farther back in the woods that is now being developed.
    Well, I guess we'll see what happens.

http://terraservice.net/image.a....798&W=3

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Nov. 08 2005,7:32)]OH yeah, I had an idea that some may or may not agree with. So I would like some feedback.

We can offer to remove the plants, enter them into our plant banks, and when they are landscaping we can donate the plants back to them. They will be used them as landscaped plants. This will have there benefits. One, it'll give us some plants with location data. Two, it will educate the people that live there on the beauty, importance of cp's and the history of the site. Three, it'll keep the plant's on their original site.

What do you think about this idea?
    Everything sounds good Ozzy but remember one thing if ya plan on giving the plants back to these people for landscaping purposes and there building housing whos to say they will give a squat about these plants and make sure people/kids/cars/ animals and what not wont run them over or distroy them and be carless twards these plants?
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that the landscaping part is a good idea. They'll just put them in a garden bed with the rest of the typical suburban landscaping material and they'll be exposed to all the chemical/fertilizer stuff from multitudes of landscape companies that are hired for lawn servicing. I also assume many will be replaced when the owners decide that petunias and marigolds look prettier.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, like I said it's an idea. I know there are negatives with this idea, that's why I asked for every bodies thoughts.

Just say we did go this route, I would make sure that there are procedures in place to protect the plants from their landscape workers, or a change of plans by the development. Since I live less than ten miles from the site I would even take care of the plants myself.
    Like most good ideas there are road blocks, but we need to see if we can overcome them and if it would even be worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy, I think trying to build a relationship with the company is very good idea. If you can illuminate them on the importance of the plants and their habitat, you may even be able to get them to contact you before they start construction on other sites.
    Also I think offering the plants or a % of the plants back to them as landscaping material is a very good idea.
    It would present an opportunity to inform the new residents about the plants, possibly with a plaques or signs.

Don't know if they do this down there but here in larger subdivision builds they set up ponds/wetland/praire areas, to handle runoff water. But if you developed a good enough relationship with the company you could try to get them to design in 'ideal' areas for the CPs.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast