Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cp site beaing developed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you zoom out on the aerial photo view, you can easily see that this little patch of land is doomed to become a suburb and overwhelmed with houses and streets. Note that the date on the image is March 1999.
    http://terraservice.net/image.a....174&W=3

A better approach might be to get the planning commission (if there is one), to require a dedicated piece of land to remain undeveloped as "park land". Many areas in the US are discovering that areas left "natural" within a housing development increases property values for the developed parcels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozzy,

I agree whole heartedly with you about approaching them in as nice a manner as possible. Chances are they don't even know there's anything there worth saving.

One thing I know about many corporations: Public immage in important. It might even behoove us (should they agree to let us do the rescue) to write an article in the local paper extolling the virtuousness of the company and their sense of environmental responsiblity. That would be further incentive for them to work with us in the future.

Oh, and if you when you get the construction schedule, let me know when you plan on doing the rescue. I'll see if I can schedule some time off work to come down and help you out.

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Ozzy Claus, I have been a very good grower this year, and have put out some FINE plants. Since the special day is coming, I wanted to give you my list in advance so you would know what I need here.
    !.) Sarracenia flava var. flava
    2.) Sarracenia flava var. ornata
    3.) Drosera brevifolia
    4.) Any Pinguicula available
    5.) Any wild dionaea on the land.

Now I have been very good, and feel I would be able to take good care of these plants, and further their cause in the world. I would be willing to share and spread the good news that CP are readily available to all men everywhere. And be one of the folks who brings the plants to them. Mr. Claus, please think of me when you get permission to collect, and fill my stocking with location plants. Thank you Ozzy Claus for listening. I'll be waiting for my just reward.
    Bugweed

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ever happend?

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting, I have never seen venus flytraps in the wild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    truly tragic, at least some of the plants will survive, maybe eventually it will be back to its originall status
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a shame if the plants dont get rescued

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there an update on this?

Last year around this time, HoustonHerp and I drove to Covington Louisiana to rescue hundreds of S. alata from a site under development. I am glad we did that.

And yes, we had permission from the owners of the site.

At this point, I would recommend any letter-writers only send pleasantly-worded letters to the developers requesting that NASC be given permission to rescue the plants from the site under development.

No pleas to halt development or nasty letters will help.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast