Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: VFT site SAVED!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More for concern there than you know, Joe. WILD-CAUGHT Hognose Snakes most often do not adjust to captivity, ESPECIALLY in their eating habits. In fact, most Hognose Snakes would rather starve to death than adjust to being stuck in a cage.

For our snake display at Jesse Jones Park, we routinely either have people bring us hognoses, or we find a few in the park. Usually we just keep them for a few weeks and turn them loose.

If it's Corn Snakes or Hognose Snakes that you're after, why not get a captive born one? That way it will be less likely to carry diseases as well...

Just my .02

Mike
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a CB hognose and it's one of the best snakes you can have. The eastern and even more so the southern hognose will not do very well in a cage. They only want to eat other reptiles mostly frogs or toads. So unless you have a steady supply of frogs I wouldn't suggest that you get one. If you wantto have a hognose I would suggest that you get a western hognose. They make great pets and they love to eat mice.

Bug the coral snake is still holding on here in the south eastern counties. I hope to find one someday. If I do, you know the pics will be posted here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mike and Mark, thanks for the advice. I wouldn't want to do harm to these cute little critters.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike is right, too. Best to get captive born. They are already used to people, and will most likely eat for you. My desert kingsnakes (captive born) ate right outta the box, so to speak, and have steadily increased in size and appetitie! And they are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really would like a snake, but I am afraid the cat would also like it. I'll take pics while in the outer banks!
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JBL if you get a Ball python, Easy snake, the cats shouldn't mess with it once its full grown. I know mine leave mine alone. I have even had my stupid black cat jump into the feeding box with one of my snakes just to look at it. Snakes in general are great and I am sure that once the cat gets used to it being there it should be fine. You wouldn't be letting it loos in the house anyways so the cage will protect it from the cats.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd feel sorry for any cat that made the mistake of jumping in the cage with my kingsnake Lucy. I gave her a quail the other day and she wrapped around it, grabbed it's head with her mouth and ripped it's head completly off. It was really a bad scene.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pearl, my desert kingsnake, showed my siamese Rosy that sticking her nose to the screen when Pearl is out and about, is not a wise idea at all. Her nose will recover.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast