What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT site SAVED!!

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Can you believe? Some good news.

Croatan Game Lands will soon increase by 40 acres

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Croatan Game Lands will soon increase by 40 acres
February 08,2006
Patricia Smith View stories by reporter
FREEDOM ENC

CAPE CARTERET — The Croatan Game Lands will soon increase by another 40 acres.

The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission recently closed on a Cape Carteret parcel owned by John J. Ahearn of New Jersey.

“As soon as the boundaries are posted on it, it is part of the program,” said Wib Owen, section manager for Land Management and Wildlife with the Wildlife Resources Commission.

The 161,000 Croatan Game Lands includes the Croatan National Forest and adjacent 841-acre McLean Tract purchased in two parts by the N.C. Coastal Land Trust in 2003 and 2004.

Coastal Land Trust also assisted in the acquisition of the Ahearn property, purchased with a $250,000 grant to the Wildlife Resources Commission from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The parcel lies on the southeast side of the McLean Tract and includes much of the same longleaf pine and pocosin habitats, as well as a small stream that feeds into Pettiford Creek, said Janice Allen, director of land protection for the Coastal Land Trust.

“It just complements what we’re trying to do there,” Allen said.

The grant was given for the protection of rare species, Allen said.

While a full assessment of the site’s ecological values has not yet been completed, it is believed the likely home of endangered species, she said, like the Red Cockaded Woodpecker and the rough-leaf loosestrife, both federally endangered species common to longleaf and pocosin forests and found in the Croatan National Forest.

“There’s a suite of other species that occur in longleaf forests that are of concern,” Allen said.

They include the Venus flytrap, which has been found on the McLean property.

It is also home to wildlife like black bear and whitetail deer.

Hunting on the parcel will fall under the same regulations as the rest of the Croatan Game Lands, Owen said.

I'm sure there are other cp's on this land. I have never found a cp site that vft was the only cp. I'll get to this site this summer and get some pics.

The problem is it took $250,000 of public money to preserve 40 acres of land. From someone in NJ no less. There isn't enough money to save much CP habitat if it has to be bought by the acre from speculators.

I'll be exploring Croatan the week of August 6th. I'm staying in Emerald Isle at the southeast tip. See you there Ozzy!

I'll see you there, Anybody else interested in joining us?

Map?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Feb. 14 2006,5:30)]Map?
Good idea--Croatan is HUGE! I was thinking about ordering a topographic map. Good idea?

Yes good idea. I'll track down the tract of land before Aug.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Map?

Who invited you?

I saw that map before but missed the arrows pointing to the VFTs and S. flava
smile_m_32.gif
.  Appropriate snake protection recommendations would be welcome!  This location is only 20 minutes from where I'll be staying.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Appropriate snake protection recommendations would be welcome!

Cool I got my snake proof boots today.
smile_n_32.gif

PM me on this buddy--I'm serious. Everything I read about these areas warns of loads of snakes...
smile_h_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
cool

Yeah, but they are soon to be endangered and are hard to find.

Joe, corn snakes and hognose snakes hardly rate a looking over they ars so tame. Not deadly, not threatening, not poisonous. No nothing. Snakes are no thing. Cottonmouth, copperhead, and rattlesnakes are the most you have to worry about in North Carolina. Back in the 60's, I know they had a population of coral snakes too, but those may be extinct now for all I know. Beware the dreaded Scarlet Kingsnake! It might just blind you with its beauty!

Hey Bugs. I thought they were safe and tame. That's why I want them. But I am concerned about how much the hognose eats. And I'm concerned about my cat getting ahold of it--yikes!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

More for concern there than you know, Joe. WILD-CAUGHT Hognose Snakes most often do not adjust to captivity, ESPECIALLY in their eating habits. In fact, most Hognose Snakes would rather starve to death than adjust to being stuck in a cage.

For our snake display at Jesse Jones Park, we routinely either have people bring us hognoses, or we find a few in the park. Usually we just keep them for a few weeks and turn them loose.

If it's Corn Snakes or Hognose Snakes that you're after, why not get a captive born one? That way it will be less likely to carry diseases as well...

Just my .02

Mike

I have a CB hognose and it's one of the best snakes you can have. The eastern and even more so the southern hognose will not do very well in a cage. They only want to eat other reptiles mostly frogs or toads. So unless you have a steady supply of frogs I wouldn't suggest that you get one. If you wantto have a hognose I would suggest that you get a western hognose. They make great pets and they love to eat mice.

Bug the coral snake is still holding on here in the south eastern counties. I hope to find one someday. If I do, you know the pics will be posted here.

Hey Mike and Mark, thanks for the advice. I wouldn't want to do harm to these cute little critters.

Mike is right, too. Best to get captive born. They are already used to people, and will most likely eat for you. My desert kingsnakes (captive born) ate right outta the box, so to speak, and have steadily increased in size and appetitie! And they are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

Back