What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volunteer at a carnivorous plant property

Dear Folks,

I was recently contacted by George Heaton, of Panama City, Florida. George owns about 35 acres of somewhat overgrown seepage habitat about 60 miles west of Tallahassee.

George's land has Sarracenia psittacina, S. purpurea (=S. rosea), S. leucophylla, Drosera capillaris, and probably more. However, his site needs some help. If you live in the area and are interested in helping George do some stewardship work on his lands, please drop him a line! His email is primitivefarmer@yahoo.com.

You can see photos of his land at: http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/boggarden/

Cheers

Barry

Not to far from me.But the way gas prices are,I can't afford to drive that far for nothing.If I lived closer I sure would help out!

Jerry

What about a big weekend. We can show up, work the weekend to get as much work done as we can. We can team up on the transportation so that we can afford to pay for gas and the motel rooms. I have a van so I can pick up anybody that lives between NC and the plant site.

Anybody interested?

Come by and pick me up!LOL Seriously, I would be up for it depending on when I would have free time.When a date would be set we can see if it fits everyone's schedule.

Jerry

Well if anybody is interested post the best weekend for you.

As of now you can count me in,just depending on what comes up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What about a big weekend. We can show up, work the weekend to get as much work done as we can.
That sounds like a good idea and a fun time Ozzy.  The only thing I have planned is Memorial Day weekend in Orlando and the following week in Charlotte, NC...Of course there is always a chance of an unexpected hurricane...I will be in Reno if that occurs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and the following week in Charlotte, NC

If nothing is setup, make a trip to the coast and I'll give you a cp tour.

Wow! That sounds like a plan Ozzy.
I will try to work it in and give you plenty of notice.
Noooo dead snakes...Ok?   Live ones only.
laugh.gif

But the dead ones don't bite.

Oz-Meister -

Now, Now...be nice to the snakes. Otherwise I'll be forced to drop one off at your place on the way to the ICPS conference!

BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Mike

Hey Folks,

Cool about thinking of getting a work party together. Kind of a SWAT team for CP habitat. Next you'll target the Watson Pinelands Preserve, eh?
smile.gif

At this point, make sure you're keeping George Heaton in the loop so he can figure out a time that works for him, too. My job has only been to get resources (you guys) to him. Now see what you can make happen!

Cheers

Barry

I wish I could help out. Shame I'm on the wrong coast! Thanks for getting the word out, Barry!

I wish i could help, dont know how my mom would feel about me going away with strangers! pluss i have summers school, and no Way to get their, Take PHotos or something, let us know how it goes!

SO there is just two of us. I'll post this in the Genral forum to see if there are more people.

this is the same post from the thread in the general discussions about this:wow thats i live in ft walton beach so thats like a hour or so drive i would help (and would like to) but i dont know how i would get there, my mom probaly wouldnt like it especially since its just some guy ive found out via internet, and i dont know what to do like to help but dont know how. what exactly are yall doing? giveing them a home? i would like to help....

I am in Gainesville until schools over next week and then I will be down in central Florida all summer. If it fits in with my schedule I would love to help out and could give anyone a ride to anyone that lives between Orlando and there. Let me know when this is going down.
-Nick Z.

P.S. as u may of find out by now i am under 18 so may not be much help but i can be there in spirit! lol

well i would love to help altough i dont think colorado is the most sarracenia rich place on earth lol so i dont think i can

When is the trip planned?  I will be in Charlette during the memorial day weekend, but I am off for the next 2 weeks.  I have remodeling plans to do both bathrooms, but I am in Grovetown GA and its an 8 hour or so trip to orlando.  I duno where this place your talking about is, but I might be able to take a 2 or 3 day trip down to help out.  Let me know when the trip is planned and then I can commit or decline.

Back