Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia oreophila

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's terrible Ozzy

Tamlin - can't you just write a note in the parcel explaining the oreo's being sent for free?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. oreophila is protected by both Endangered Species Act (ESA) and CITES. Here's a snipplet of the penalities...

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    SEC. 11.
    (a) CIVIL PENALTIES.-
    (1) Any person who knowingly violates, and any person engaged in business as an importer or exporter of fish, wildlife, or plants who violates, any provision of this Act, or any provision of any permit or certificate issued hereunder, or of any regulation issued in order to implement subsection (a)(1)(A), (B), ©, (D), (E), or (F), (a)(2)(A), (B), ©, or (D), ©, (d) (other than regulation relating to recordkeeping or filing of reports), (f), or (g) of section 9 of this Act, may be assessed a civil penalty by the Secretary of not more than $25,000 for each violation. Any person who knowingly violates, and any person engaged in business as an importer or exporter of fish, wildlife, or plants who violates, any pro- vision of any other regulation issued under this Act may be assessed a civil penalty by the Secretary of not more than $12,000 for each such violation. Any person who otherwise violates any provision of this Act, or any regulation, permit, or certificate issued hereunder, may be assessed a civil penalty by the Secretary of not more than $500 for each such violation.
    http://www.fws.gov/Endangered/esa.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any new news on this topic? Findings? If there's anyone out there who's looking to do some home hybridizing, it would be great for them to be able to use S. oreophila, since it's supposed to impart great characteristics to its offspring. Plus, the more plants distributed in captivity, the less opportunity poachers will have to make a buck off of them.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are already hybrids. You're allowed to buy hybrids.

I want one crossed with S. flava.... The height and the heft would be cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here is something odd about sarracenia oreophila! If your s. oreophila gets a few hours of sun, it may show a few veins. However, if you increase the amount of sun the plant gets, the more color it takes on. Unlike s. flava, let's say, variation rubricorpora, which is a red tube, a plant that will redden up a little every day until it takes on the color red over a period of days in say 5 or 6 hours of sun per day. S. oreophila has a tendency to take on color according to the amount of sun it gets EACH day.
    A plant given to me by Joe Mazrimas got 4 hours of sun a day and was all green. It got the same amount of sun day in and day out. Always it was green. Joe gave me a cutting of this plant toward the end of its growing season, and it stayed all green, though not anthocyanin free. (Red growing points!) The following year, living at my house, it was getting 12 hours of light per day. WHAM! Suddenly it veined up with beautiful red veins, looking very different from the environment it lived in. And quite beautiful!
    Then, I got a clone from Ron Lane. (Clone 2, lightly veined) I found out from Ron it got 6 or 7 hours of sun. So, being the curious sort I am, I gave it 12 to 14 hours. Suddenly, it was very veined. Ron thought I had mislabeled the plant, but I told him what had happened. Ron gave his clone 2 more sun, and it turned into a wholly different plant, very veined, and GORGEOUS! Why the amount of sun makes this difference is unclear as other species (s. flava's, s. leucophylla's) take on their color gradually, getting more colorful every day until they reach the leaves lifespan end. S. oreophila will just look less veined with less sun (hours wise), while my s. flava var. rubricorpora get redder every day until they die, even with only 6 hours of sun. For BEST color with your s. oreophila, give it all the sun it can "eat". You just might be in for the shock of your life. S. oreophila is quite the showoff if given all you can give it!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this apply to all plants? The plants from my photos are pretty bland with the exception on an odd red plant here and there. The bog is burned annually and it's all open.

My own plants did REALLY color up when I moved them from my deck and put them into the muck at the front of our lake. Must be the soil.

I should take 2 plants and pot one in standard mix and pot the other in the muck from our lake and put them side by side on my deck and see what happens. That's a pretty good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP how much land do you own? Is it a big lake or a man-made lake?

Bugweed that's really amazing! One of the people that I asked about S. oreophylla said that it was a really boring plant, and said that I wouldn't like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP, it may be open, but you have to know how much actual sun is on the plant. In its environment, it may still only get a few real hours of direct sun, and so far, my findings show this makes a difference. Try it out and see. I would love to know the details!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast