What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia oreophila

I don't know but I think that It should be S. oreophylla or S. rubra ssp. jonesii/alabamensis

I just looked it up and it's the rose. Works for me.

I wonder how hard it would be to get the laws for S. oreophila an other endangered species changed to let us sell, buy and trade clones?

I don't know, but for some species that would be like buying selling and trading baby pandas

... No... we can't mass produce panda clones.

If we could, trust me people would buy them.

That probably wouldn't be true. You don't see people selling and buying koalas and Hippos for the fun of it. Besides first all of the zoos in the world would have one, before normal people started buying them.

there might also not be any bamboo left!
oh.gif

Stay on subject!!!!!! Now, who else knows anything about growing Hippo's or Panda's????? The more light they get.......................

The reason they don't allow tc'ed plants to be traded or sold is because if they did the every poached plant would be claimed as tc'ed.

I want a baby panda, who's selling them?
tounge.gif

Sorry Oz! You don't have enough light!!!!!
laugh.gif

But I have two 3 million candle power light.

Besides I'm an electrician, I can get all the light I need.

Hey Folks,

Listen to Bugweed on this stuff, he's got his facts straight. You can buy/sell within the state. NO MONEY, TRADE, or BARTER across state lines.

I also encourage anyone who is shipping Threatened/Endangered CP across state lines to include a letter specifying the plant is a gift.

Look, the truth is that NO ONE is going to open your package within the USA. The Feds just don't monitor domestic mail like that. Your letter, though, will be useful because the recipient will then have a receipt showing the legal source of the plant. I keep a separate binder with records of all Threatened/Endagnered shipments. Very useful.

Barry

Hey Folks,

I forgot to mention that the ICPS seedbank currently has lots of S. jonesii, S. alabamensis, and S. oreophila seed. Stocked from crosses I did here at UC Davis.

Cheers

Barry

Ironically you can do what you want with a plant like S.x [(flava x oreophila) x oreophila] x oreophila etc. etc.

Or an 'endangered' cross such as S.x oreophila x rubra ssp. alabamensis

Indeed, hybrids involving endangered species are not protected. The cultivar Sarracenia 'Triple Rarity' is a hybrid of the three endangered species, I don't remember the parentage order. Since it is of horticultural origin, it is not covered by the Endangered Species Act.

Yet, a pure species plant of horticultural origin between, say, S. oreophila in Georgia and S. oreophila from North Carolina *would* be protected.

Oreo crosses always seem to produce larger more robust plants.

Selling it out of state= jail time.

No one is going to jail for selling/trading a single oreophylla plant. I'm not arguing that it's not wrong/illegal...just not on the D.A.'s list of top priorities.

Back