Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jungle Harvested N. viking seeds on eBay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jungle Harvested N. viking seeds on eBay

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, someone took N. viking out of the jungle and sold it on eBay, is it just as illegal to sell N. viking seed harvested from the Jungle on eBay? This guy even admitted to it! Please tell me, if it is I'll post the link here.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh boy, he's at it again. This is probably the same person that has been selling illegal stuff on ebay for a while.

I'd say it is a no no, but let's see what others say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeds are not CITES protected, nor is globosa. Perhaps collecting the seed is illegal in regards to local laws, perhaps not. Either way, globosa is from a pretty remote location...whos gunna stop the guy?

I'm all about conservation, but some people here need to know where to draw the line. Seed germination rate in the wild is only 2% anyway...but anyone with a pot of peat, a plastic bag, and a fluorescent light can get about 80% germination. Of course, of the 2% that germinate in the wild, maybe 2% of those will make it to maturity.

The guy thats doing it isn't getting rich by it, thats for sure. In fact, theres about a 99% chance he's doing it just to be able to get enough money to eat. And again, who are we to tell indigenous peoples what they can or can not do with their own plants in their own country?
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm all about conservation, but some people here need to know where to draw the line. Seed germination rate in the wild is only 2% anyway...but anyone with a pot of peat, a plastic bag, and a fluorescent light can get about 80% germination. Of course, of the 2% that germinate in the wild, maybe 2% of those will make it to maturity.
    Cute justification. I mean, who cares about carnivorous plants anyway? I mean, if they're not in my hands, they may as well be paved over. Right? I mean, we can do it so much better than mother nature anyway, right? I mean, if they can't survive, then that's their problem, survival of the fittest and all. I mean, 94% of the plants will be gone in a few years anyway. In my collection less than 2% die.

The guy thats doing it isn't getting rich by it, thats for sure. In fact, theres about a 99% chance he's doing it just to be able to get enough money to eat.
    Right on! I heard you can get ivory for a good price and feed a family for several weeks! Ivory is on the upswing, and the elephants don't really need them anyway! Like only probably about maybe 3% even care.

Either way, globosa is from a pretty remote location...whos gunna stop the guy?
    It's gonna happen anyway, so why care, right? Instead of actually doing something, let's make ourselves feel good.

Ok, the sarcasm is burning. We can pull numbers and figures out of our rear-ends all day long and makes postulations as to the economic and moral state of our seller and how he's must be some benevolent benefactor doing good for his family and community. I mean, whatever helps you sleep.

Lets say I give you the complete benefit of the doubt, that all of your statements, assertions, and figures are spot on. This isn't you giving a **** of a care about conservation. You just want some perty, cheap plants. You don't care how they get to your hands, all you need to do is stick your fingers in your ear and hum until the plants/seeds arrive on your doorstep.

Even if this guy is legit, that isn't a justification for making random feel-good statements about how it's really for the good of the plants. Sell that somewhere else.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was always under the impression that if a plant is protected under the CITES Treaty all parts including seeds were included. I have no particular interest in nepenthes (I think they all pretty much look alike) but I assume N. globosa is the plant in question. If it is not protected then I agree with you, however:

"who are we to tell indigenous peoples what they can or can not do with their own plants in their own country?"

If they live in one of the 150 or so countries that signed the treaty then I would expect them to follow the letter of the law the same as I am expected to do here in the U.S. I imagine most of you on this forum would be in a total uproar if poor Bubba collected the last remaining CITES protected Sarracenia to sell on ebay to raise money for himself. But then again who are we to tell indigenous southerners what they can do with plants in their own country?
    I agree 80% germination rate is wonderful- but with that logic why not plunder all the seed pods from all of the endangered plants and grow them away from their natural habitat? CITES protected animals would probably survive and breed better in a zoological park - would you advocate a mass round up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry EST I was typing when you posted - I just assumed nobody was going to respond - had I read yours I wouldn't have bothered.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry EST I was typing when you posted - I just assumed nobody was going to respond - had I read yours I wouldn't have bothered.
    Definitely no need to apologize. Post away! lol
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are very remote. I didn't think anyone except the very locals knew where they were.

Maybe he's playing up the wild collected jungle part to appeal to westerners or something. The whole "mysterious Asian jungle" sort of thing like from the old movies, and really they are from a pot in his back yard.

Or maybe not.

SAVE THE ELEPHANTS AND NEPENTHES!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast